Fotos

Photographer's Note

Cerreto di Spoleto is an Italian town of 1,170 inhabitants of the province of Perugia.
Medieval castle built on a pre-existing settlement on the hill of San Sebastian is situated in panoramic position, dominating the confluence of the narrow valleys of the Black and Vigi, surrounding it from both sides. Its name derives from the widespread presence of oak trees and, among other things, until the last century could see a hundred year old oak tree in the village square.
The oak is also present in the coat of arms
The first settlement probably dates back to 290 to. C. when is the Romanization of the territory by the legions of the consul M. Curio Cog.
In the age of late imperial Christianity spreads in these valleys descend from the valley of the Nera, in the fifth century, the great St. Benedict of Nursia and begin to arise various Benedictine monasteries.
In the Middle Ages, in the Lombard period, were created in the territory of Spoleto constituencies such stewards or chamberlains, country estates in administration legal, economic and military, run by officials of the Lombard king. Cerreto was part of what the bridge.
A local legend, reported by several historians, says that the castle was founded in the nineteenth century by the Franks who had fallen with Charlemagne to counter the power of the mighty steward of the Lombard Bridge. Between the ninth and tenth, the Saracens invaded the territory of Duke of Spoleto forced the feudal lords to erect fortresses and castles.
The documentary history of the foundation of the castle, however, started in the twelfth century, when subtracted from the steward of the Lombard Bridge stands and a free city under the protection of the Church, using its strategic location on the border between the towns of Spoleto and Norcia and Duchy of Camerino.
In 1221 they submitted to the Cerreto Spoleto in order to obtain aid against the Lords of the bridge that, since the advancing feudal rights over it, some years later, in 1225, was heard the hegemony of the Church when they were forced to swear allegiance to Cardinal Colonna, Chancellor of the Duchy of Spoleto. But later, in 1233 the Cerreto were severely punished by the Spoleto for a few attempts at rebellion, but peace was restored through the mediation of Brother Elia in 1234 and the castle was finally subdued until at least 1240, when he pulled back from Spoleto to follow the Ghibelline party. But in 1241 Frederick II returned it to the duchy that was definitely confirmed by Cardinal Capocci in 1247. Norcia also repeatedly tried to impose their supremacy over Cerreto subtly trying to incite rebellion against the castle of Spoleto, and subsequent episodes of rebellion is also repeated in 1279 and especially in 1320 when the castle is said to Perugia and Spoleto were unable to win him back. Nevertheless Cerreto who had always maintained a certain autonomy, after the thirteenth century, greatly increased its strength remaining almost always independent and still be subject to disputes between Norcia and Spoleto.
This allowed him to greatly extend its territory and its domination of the neighboring castles joining the district of Spoleto only occasionally. Norcia in 1438 when, taking advantage of declining hegemony of territorial Spoleto engaged in internal struggles, tried again to seize it, Cerreto asked and got the help and protection of Francesco Sforza. By Sforza, however, the castle passed into the hands of the Varano of Camerino and from these directly to the Church. For a while it was entrusted to the government of Norcia, who made the request, but then returned under the duchy of Spoleto. The ongoing battles between Spoleto and Norcia Cerreto eventually split into two factions. Only he had the 1446 Spoleto victory; the walls were rebuilt, re-acquired Rocchetta, which had remained under the rule of Norcia and the local government was reorganized.
The story of this historic castle continued to unravel at least until the sixteenth century, alternating between fights that involved the dukes of Spoleto, Norcia and Varano who alternated in control of these territories and helped by the cyclically Cerreto faithful to one hour, hour faithful to another often divided themselves the infighting between the various political factions. In 1500 Cerreto, however, was still in the hands of Varano Montesanto Sellano. But soon driven out the inhabitants of Spoleto Camerino reoccupied the castle again this time on behalf of the Duke Valentino, however, who already in 1502, was invested by Pope Alexander VI of the Duchy of Camerino.
The rule of the Borgias, however, was precarious and very short and he soon returned to dominate the Varano in these places. Although contested between the towns of Norcia, Spoleto and the Duchy of Camerino, Cerreto always sought its independence. Cerreto fierce rebellions in 1523 when they were banned from Petrone Vallo, terror and enemy of the area of the town of Spoleto, took refuge there and managed to kill the papal governor. In the second half of the 500 came under the jurisdiction of the Church, until in 1569 it was finally aggregated to the prefecture of the mountain, located in Norcia. The turbulent events of this center continued for some time until Spoleto weakened by centuries of misrule and war loosened the control over the territories of his district. Cerreto at this point was the first to make sure a certain autonomy destined to become complete at the end of 1700. Only in 800, with the French, became part of the jurisdiction of Spoleto and the Kingdom of Italy acquired its administrative autonomy.
Cerreto di Spoleto has experienced periods particularly beautiful as witnessed by several noble palaces in the urban and especially on the main square dedicated to John Jovian Pontano, a distinguished poet, humanist and politician born in Cerreto, who lived mostly in Naples and precisely at the court of Aragon, which was powerful official.
In a dominant position overlooking the castle hill on the outlets of the valleys of the Black and Vigi, Cerreto has always taken a strategic role of primary importance, as evidenced by both the extent of the remains of the perimeter walls culminating in the summit in a cone, is the fortifications of the town below, the prevailing character and different as compared to the similar medieval merchant. Today, this defense system are only some sections, one of six original doors and a tall tower with a belfry dominant, but the system of fortifications that divided the village and includes a place already made inaccessible orographically is certainly evidence of the past and many historic center of this.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17682 W: 130 N: 37133] (202500)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2010-06-26
  • Categories: Castelos, Arquitectura
  • Exposição: f/11, 1/320 segundos
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original
  • Date Submitted: 2012-11-18 7:10
Viewed: 3716
Points: 44
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17682 W: 130 N: 37133] (202500)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH