Photographer's Note

Armenzano is part of the municipality of Assisi (PG) .
The village is located 8 km east of the city of Assisi, on the eastern flank of Mount Subasio , at a height of about 740 m above sea level . Its population in the medieval period consisted of about 400 people (40 burners) and in 1950 there were 550 people, now reduced to thirty . The inhabitants are called armenzanesi .
Built along the road that joins Spello to Assisi, Armenzano is situated on a hill where you can enjoy splendid views of the hills and mountains of Nocera and the green valley of the river Anna .
The hill on which stands Armenzano , round and tight makes it compulsory for the construction of houses in two concentric circles ; higher isolated stands the house of the medieval squire . The walls surrounding the castle are now completely ruined .
Isolated with respect to the structure of the country, is the Church of S. Mary, built by the Camaldolese friars of S. Sylvester in the twelfth or thirteenth century.
Armenzano The name derives from the Latin " Armentum " , which means herd of cattle , horses, ... the main resource of the country was, in fact , for a long time , breeding also because its geological structure , strongly sloping , lends itself to pasture but not agriculture.
Umbrian origins in the Middle Ages the castle was owned by the Count of Napoleon Umbertin Monaldi (died in 1257 ) , who was a great friend and admirer of St. Francis and his host whenever the Holy went to preach in the area. Of the sons of Napoleon should be mentioned Ugolino 's husband and father of Blonde DiALTA . Dialta , yet in her youth , as soon as the Scifi Clare founded the Order of Poor Clares , entered the convent changing its name profane, celebrated in the dances and songs of love , in that of Sister Lucia. Some sites also originates Blessed John the simple , a follower of St. Francis, who used to imitate in all its expressions and movements.
In ancient times, the castle belonged to the municipality of Spello , as part of the Duchy of Spoleto and the Diocese . It seems to have then been sold to Assisi by the heirs of Napoleon in 1271.
Since the 80s it hosts a famous Nativity , which each year attracts a large number of visitors from all over Umbria . The village, with the participation of all inhabitants, turns and takes the visitor back in time , presenting clothing, work and life styles of the time.
Remarkable Astronomical Observatory of Armenzano , built in '99 readjusting a house in the village of about 60 square meters to private initiative alone . All the work of transformation has been carried out in accordance with the particular environment in which it is inserted.
Posted in the Natural Park of Mount Subasio, enjoys an almost total absence of light pollution .
Near the castle is the church of Santa Maria always wanted by Camaldolese friars in the thirteenth century.

Kofman, adramad, cornejo, PiotrF, photoray, Graal, lgir, ChrisJ, krzychu30 marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 2306
Points: 44
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18679 W: 130 N: 39487] (211629)
View More Pictures