Photographer's Note

These are two photos taken from the entrance to the Palace Kitchens, one (left) looking north and one (right) looking south.

"The palace kitchens) were built when the palace was first constructed in the 15th century and expanded during the reign of Suleyman the Magnificent. They were modeled on the kitchens of Edirne Palace. After the fire of 1574, which damaged the kitchens, they were remodeled by the court architect Mimar Sinan. The rebuilt kitchens form two rows of 20 wide chimneys; these chimneys were added by Mimar Sinan.

The kitchens are located on an internal street stretching between the Second Courtyard and the Marmara Sea. The entrance to this section is through the three doors in the portico of the Second Courtyard: the Imperial commissariat (lower kitchen) door, imperial kitchen door and the confectionery kitchen door. The palace kitchens consist of 10 domed buildings: Imperial kitchen, (palace school), Harem (women's quarters), Birûn (outer service section of the palace), kitchens, beverages kitchen, confectionery kitchen, creamery, storerooms and rooms for the cooks. They were the largest kitchens in the Ottoman Empire. Food was prepared for about 4,000 people and the kitchen staff consisted of more than 800 people. The kitchens included dormitories, baths and a mosque for the employees, most of which disappeared over time." (From Wikipedia)

The workshop photos are the individual full size versions of these photos.

GPS:41.01182716881336, 28.98447770707079

COSTANTINO, ikeharel, pajaran, Fis2, holmertz, Royaldevon, jhm, PiotrF, PaulVDV marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Additional Photos by Murat Tanyel (mcmtanyel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 7676 W: 302 N: 16535] (62547)
View More Pictures