Fotos

Photographer's Note

The Plaza de San Martín, next to the currently called Plaza de Medina del Campo, is one of the most beautiful and representative corners of Segovia. It takes its name from the emblematic church of San Martín and is next to the great artery of Segovia which is Calle Real (currently this section of Calle Real has the name Calle Juan Bravo). The truth is that this area is popularly known as 'the Plaza de las Sirenas'.

It offers an interesting architectural ensemble reminiscent of some Italian squares. The 15th century House, an old palace of the Tordesillas, an example of an urban noble residence. Plateresque gallery incorporated in the 16th century.

The Torreón de Lozoya, from the 14th and 16th centuries. Strong house renovated by Francisco de Eraso, secretary of King Felipe II, in the middle of the 16th century. Renaissance courtyard. Rear garden with arcaded gallery. Caja Segovia exhibition rooms.

The Casa de Solier and the Casa de Bornos are two Renaissance mansions from the 16th century, both crowned by a gallery used as a cloth dryer, testimony to the flourishing textile industry that the city had for centuries. In front of these facades, an artistic fountain is the work of the sculptor Francisco Bellver (1851).

Among elegant buildings, the Romanesque Church of San Martín, from the 12th century, stands out. Its structure has three naves and a head with three apses.

A statue of the community member Juan Bravo by the sculptor Aniceto Marinas on the first flight of the steps and two neoclassical sphinxes with the head and bust of a woman and the body of a lioness - popularly known as Las Sirenas - complete the diverse aesthetic of the square.

--------------------------------------------------

La plaza de San Martín, junto a la llamada en la actualidad Plaza de Medina del Campo, es uno de los rincones más bonitos y representativos de Segovia. Toma su nombre de la emblemática iglesia de San Martín y está junto a la gran arteria de Segovia que es la calle Real (actualmente dicho tramo de la calle Real posee el nombre de calle Juan Bravo). Lo cierto es que esta zona es conocida popularmente como 'la plaza de las Sirenas'.

Ofrece un interesante conjunto arquitectónico que recuerda a algunas plazas italianas. La Casa del siglo XV, antiguo palacio de los Tordesillas ejemplo de residencia nobiliaria urbana. Galería plateresca incorporada en el siglo XVI.

El Torreón de Lozoya, de los siglos XIV y XVI. Casa fuerte reformada por Francisco de Eraso, secretario del Rey Felipe II, a mediados del siglo XVI. Patio renacentista. Jardín posterior con galería porticada. Salas de exposiciones de Caja Segovia.

La Casa de Solier y la Casa de Bornos, son dos casonas renacentistas del siglo XVI, ambas coronadas por una galería destinada a secadero de paños, testimonio de la floreciente industria textil con la que contó la ciudad durante siglos. Frente a estas fachadas, una artística fuente obra del escultor Francisco Bellver (1851).

Entre elegantes edificios, destaca la Iglesia románica de San Martín, del siglo XII. Su estructura es de tres naves y cabecera con tres ábsides.

Una estatua del comunero Juan Bravo obra del escultor Aniceto Marinas en el primer tramo de la escalinata y dos esfinges neoclásicas con cabeza y busto de mujer y cuerpo de leona - conocidas popularmente como Las Sirenas - completan la variopinta estética de la plaza.

jhm, Fis2, COSTANTINO, jemaflor, mcmtanyel marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9041 W: 5 N: 16287] (72558)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2019-08-09
  • Exposição: f/0.1, 30 segundos
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2021-12-08 5:08
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9041 W: 5 N: 16287] (72558)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH