Photographer's Note


The cathedral is on the same spot where a smaller church, dedicated to the same saint was in the 16th century. Mitropolitan Pavle Nenadović decided in 1758 to pull down the old church and to erect a new cathedral on the same spot. Consecration of the foundations were held on the 7th of May, 1758. With the contributions of mitropolitan, folk and monasteries it was possible to finish the building and in four years it was completed by the plan designed in Vienna.

The cathedral was built in baroque style and is a three-partite cathedral. On the front facade two big belfries are emphasized and one is in between. Stained glass windows are a work of German craftsmen. Above choral apse is a big stained glass window with motif of St. Nicholas.

I altar place is big iconostasis, the work of Teodor Kračun, who tragically died, and Jakov Orfelin. In the corners of dome Kračun painted images of Evangelists and icons on the upper part of iconostasis which were coated with 24-carat gold. Jakov Orfelin finished work on the iconostasis. On the lower part of iconostasis, on the right side, is an icon of Madonna with Christ, made in 14th century by unknown Russian artists. In altar place is sacred Ark of the Covenant with piece of relic of St. Arsenius of Srem, pupil of St. Sava and his legatee on archbishops throne. Between altar place and nave are two thrones - on the right side for the patriarch, and on the left side for king or a crown-prince.

During the lifetime of patriarch Georgije Branković a famous Serbian artist Paja Jovanović painted few pictures with motives from the Old and the New Testament on the order of the patriarch himself. He also painted four compositions with events from medieval Serbian history presented on.

Frontispiece of the cathedral was changed according to a project from Vladimir Nikolić during the time of patriarch Lukijan Bogdanović (1909/1910).

In the crypt of The Orthodox Cathedral almost all metropolitans from Sremski Karlovci are buried. Exceptions are Arsenije III and Arsenije IV whose remains are in the Krušedol monastery and patriarchs Georgije Branković and Lukijan Bogdanović. Frequent floods are reason why remains of these two noble men rest in crypt of The Upper Church which was built especially for them.

kiwi_explorer, macondo, bracasha75 marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 2017
Points: 10
Additional Photos by Zorica Helach (zhelach) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 225 W: 55 N: 832] (3626)
View More Pictures