Photographer's Note

Panorama make of 5 shoots RAW

The monastery of the Discalced Carmelite Order from the 17th century was build on the western slope of Eliaszowka valley. Inside the monastery there is the Saint Eliasz Pustelnik (Elijah the Hermit) church from the early baroque, the chapel and museum dedicated to the memory of blessed father Rafal (Jozef Kalinowski).
Among the monastery's treasures there is a picture of the Szkaplerzna Mother of God painted in 17th century, displayed on one of the side altars. Whereas on the high altar made of black marble is a Tomas Dolabelli painting.

The monastery is surrounded by the stony wall, so called small enclosure, with two gates: northern (1640) and southern called Saint Elijah Gate (1672). There are two rocky caves nearby the monastery, and also Saint Elijah brook (the 17th cent.), a group of stony shrines (the 18-20th cent.) and monumental rock-hewn well.

On the monastery graveyard there is a monument of Aleksander Bledowski, one of the leaders during the November revolt in 1830. A characteristic part of the monastery is Station of the Cross: every station is a sculpture with the roof above it, and it is located in the forests of Eliaszowka valley.

Near the monastery one can admire the monument of nature -the old beech alley.

Up to 1805 the monastery was the hermitage and only people exercising the highest power in the country could enter the enclosure. Hermits lived according to very strict rules, they could not speak to anyone but their superior.


Nobody marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1214
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Damian Onderka (makkak) Silver Note Writer [C: 1 W: 0 N: 15] (89)
View More Pictures