Photographer's Note

More pictures here

The history of the square dates back to the early seventeenth century, when he was just undeveloped space at the crossroads leading to the Ujazdowski Castle, the village Sluzewiec and Old Town. Since the mid-seventeenth century it became the market square then assumed jurisdiction offices named after the name of the owner of John Grzybowski Grzybów. In the years 1786-1787, designed by Charles Schutz on town hall square, was built Mushroom. In 1791 jurisdiction offices closed down, while in the city hall in the period 1809 to 1830 housed the prison. After the demolition of City Hall was created in its place established market for the end of the nineteenth century, however, before, after 1815 square lined with neoclassical buildings. They designed the famous, in part, prominent architects: Antonio Corazzi and Frederick Albert Lessel. Coming from the streets of the square also received a uniform, neoclassical buildings, and the same square from 1830 called Grzybowski Market.

The appearance of the square took on a new character in the second half of the nineteenth century, when after 1861 the church was built. All Saints was designed by Henryk Marconi. The construction lasted over 30 years, eventually the church was completed in 1895. During this period, the square area was dominated by Jews and was famous for its numerous small shops offering articles of iron. Among the many factories, "handelków" and shops worth mentioning is operating under no. 7 Abram Dębinera a photographer. In 1879, pierced Próżna Street, and its outlet to the square enclosed design houses and Francis Braumana Wolanowskiego Majer. Around 1910 under no. 7 in place of Adam house was once located Szczyglińskiego photographic company issued a new, four-story Art Nouveau house, the facade is decorated with two bay windows. Two onion domes crowning these bay windows and the whole building overwhelmed earlier buildings of the square and the church reduced optically.

Since 1866, there was a loop on the square lines of the horse, dowożącej train to Warsaw, after 1880 decker omnibuses were replaced by horse trams, the year of 1908 - Electric. Even earlier, because in 1855 the site adjusted the thread of the new aqueduct Warsaw, built and designed by Henryk Marconi. Near the church issued if the well casing with cast iron, adorned with images of the Mermaid, parallel gas lighting was square, after 1907 - Electric. In 1897 he moved to non-existent market square today Witkowski, and tidied Grzybowski Square: in the middle of the ornate decorated square, the remaining surface area of ​​"cobblestones" replaced the basalt cube. The interwar period brought no significant changes.

On 7 and 8 September 1939 at the Mushroom and the surrounding area dropped bombs and missiles. Destruction of houses 7 and 8, with the remnants of the latter was demolished in 1940. In the same Grzybowski Square in 1940 was within the ghetto wall separating the area from the Aryan was built at the outlet st. Border. In March 1941, reduced the area of ​​the Jewish quarter, marking its eastern boundary along the frontage of the square. Church. All Saints was opened to the use of the Jews, whose ancestors had been before the war, embraced the Christian faith, and they were completely assimilated. After a wave of deportations to death camps in 1942 liquidated "small ghetto" housing area populated Polish population "Aryan". During the heavy fighting in 1944 partially damaged two houses and a church, after the collapse of the uprising the Germans burnt the western frontage of the square. Was destroyed by including Aron Serdynera Synagogue in Warsaw.
Jewish Theatre

The post-war reconstruction plans for the reconstruction of the square initially assumed in its former shape, to create enclaves of old buildings here, before the year 1955 was planned only a partial reconstruction of the church and turning behavior in a whole big market socialist realism, which was built in place of st. Vain. There was no to that. Vain is now the only street in the former ghetto, which was preserved buildings on both sides. Survivor (partially damaged) buildings were demolished after the Marsh Street in 1962, rising to 1967 blocks of settlements Fungi. Also demolished two houses west frontage pl. Grzybowski, and in their place was built in 1966-67 późnomodernistyczny Jewish Theatre building, designed by prof. Bohdan Pniewski. Synagogues Serdynera not rebuilt, in its place is now a makeshift one-story building Shalom Foundation (Street Hard 2 / 4).

Kofman marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 2647
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Lukasz Mlodzinski (lukasz_mlodzins) Silver Note Writer [C: 2 W: 0 N: 29] (186)
View More Pictures