Fotos

Photographer's Note


3832 / 5000
Risultati della traduzione
Church of San Martino - Petroro - Todi (PG)
This pretty Romanesque church, also known as San Martino, is located in a field of the 0.P. Consolation, on the left of the Duesanti-Petroro road. It was subject to the abbey of Sassovivo, and, in 1711, by the will of Francesco Maria Ridolfi, it passed with Petroro's estate to the Church of the Consolation of Todi.
Petroro, in full respect of the medieval typology, was served by the parish church of San Biagio immediately outside the castle walls, was located between the latter two and also served as a defense and shelter point for one of the most important communication routes for pilgrims who went to Jerusalem. The Church of San Martino is located in the hamlet of Petroro along the S.P. Duesanti Giano, once a very important communication route where intense commercial traffic took place.
Hospitals and leper hospitals were the places of refuge that pilgrims encountered on their journey and here they are also witnessed in apostolic and pastoral visits.
The Church of San Martino is attested as a priory and canonicalate in the Rationes decimarum from 1275 onwards as belonging to Benedictine congregations with priests and canons, but the recurring Romanesque styles, the east-west orientation, the apsidal basins clearly denounce their high origin medieval.
The Temple, inserted in the territory of the castle, in fact depended on the abbey of Sassovivo together with the priory of San Nicolò de Criptis di Todi whose foundation dates back to 1093 and there is therefore reason to believe that it was coeval. In 1505 he had the dignity of cardinalate commendation entrusted to Cardinal Riario, also titular of Sassovivo, nephew of Pope Julius II. Already in 1574 a state of deterioration of the Temple is witnessed as shown in the chronicles of the visit of the Apostolic Visitor H.E. Bishop Camaiani.
By legacy of Francesco Maria Ridolfi it passed in 1711 to the Opera Pia di Santa Maria della Consolazione of which it still belongs today. The Benefactor established by testament the burden of celebrating four masses on the occasion of the feast of San Martino. The Opera Pia della Consolazione originated in 1527 and was established with donations from the faithful who flocked to Todi to venerate the image of the Augusta Virgin in the temple built to a design by Bramante Lazzari, a distinguished architect of that time. The initial purposes - maintaining the temple and hosting pilgrims - changed over the years. Lastly, they could be identified in the maintenance at the "Ciuffelli" Agricultural School of Todi of six pupils from families of poor farmers of Todi, in the provision of a modest contribution to the Agricultural School, but above all in the maintenance of the temple known as the Consolation and worship in it practiced.
The building which was completed collapsed in the 90s was the subject of an important restoration work carried out directly by the monumental Superintendency.
The exterior, with a well-polished curtain face, is preserved intact and is characterized by slit windows and a graceful portal with a raised lunette, formed by two recessed arches, which rest on an architrave sculpted in the Romanesque style.
The interior of the church is completely covered by plaster, there are still the remains of the fresco depicting St. Martin of Tours (316 - 397; Bishop and confessor, he is venerated as a saint by the Catholic Church, he is remembered on 11 November, although this is not the date of his death, but that of his burial. This date has become an extraordinary feast throughout the West, thanks to its popular reputation for holiness and the considerable number of Christians who bore the name of Martin. of Macon it had been decided that it would be a non-working party.

ikeharel, pierrefonds, Fis2, jhm, COSTANTINO marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18979 W: 130 N: 40073] (213897)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2021-10-14
  • Exposição: f/1.1, 30 segundos
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original
  • Date Submitted: 2021-10-14 3:29
Viewed: 0
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18979 W: 130 N: 40073] (213897)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH