Photographer's Note

Church of the Madonna di Loreto - Spoleto
The construction of the church, considered one of the most beautiful Renaissance buildings of worship in Umbria, was begun in 1572 on a project by the Florentine architect Annibale de 'Lippi. It stands near the Porta San Matteo, later called "di Loreto", in an area in which, already in 1537, the Spoleto Jacopo Spinelli had built a Majesty and had it frescoed by the well-known painter Jacopo Santoro da Giuliana, called Jacopo Siculo. The painting immediately received great popular veneration because, according to a legend, the painter, returning to complete the work, found it already finished by the angelic hand. On the occasion of the terrible earthquakes of 1571, the population went several times in procession to the chapel, attributing salvation from the terrible shocks to the protection of the Madonna. Other prodigies attributed to the Madonna concern the exorcisms practiced to many possessed who came from all over the world; Word had spread so much about his virtues that numerous priests devoted themselves day and night to welcoming and caring for pilgrims. This incredible flow was regulated by the cardinals Cristoforo Madruzzo and Guido Ferreri who governed Spoleto, one from 1566 to 1567 and the other from 1572 to 1580. Popular enthusiasm grew so much that the then bishop Fulvio Orsini decided to build the great church whose first stone was laid on 4 October 1572. The building was erected on a very elaborate plan, in the form of a Greek cross, which perfectly suited the Tridentine prescriptions. On the outside, the upper order, very developed in width, is divided by pilasters surmounted by a smooth frieze, with a result of great simplicity and spatial rigor; the portal was built later, in 1662. At the intersection of the arms the dome was supposed to rise, but it was never built.
The vast interior is embellished with numerous chapels adorned with paintings and sculptures, erected by some noble families of Spoleto, richly adorned with works of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, stands out, for its beauty, the Campello Chapel, erected in 1608 by Giuseppe and Francesco Campello. An impressive stone altar exhibition frames three canvases: The Adoration of the Magi, the Nativity (1609) and the Visitation by the Caravaggesque painter Giovanni Baglione.
Construction proceeded slowly; before the conclusion, the regular clerics of St. Paul, called Barnabites, take up residence there, who in 1604 built a college next to the church, now occupied by the hospital.
The church was consecrated by the bishop Lorenzo Castrucci in 1621
After the Napoleonic suppressions the Augustinians of S. Nicolò moved there, in 1860 the college was converted into an agricultural institute and the church, completely abandoned, became a barracks. In 1925 the college and church were occupied by the Friars Minor Conventual; after a few years, in 1936, the college was demolished and the new civil hospital was built in its place, while the church was once again destined for military residence in 1944, with damaging consequences for the furnishings and interior architecture. In the following years the Capuchin Friars, residing in the nearby Colle Attivoli convent, will take care of it, but it will remain closed and inactive until the end of the seventies; in 1979 it was restored thanks to the Amici di Spoleto association and the contribution of the Samuel Henry Kress Foundation of New York. In 2007 the church returned to the property of the Diocese and was erected as a sanctuary.
In the WS the interior and the majesty of Giacomo Santoro da Giuliana known as Jacopo Siculo painted in 1537 by the Spinelli family and recently restored. A small fragment of the large fresco remained visible: the face of the Madonna and the Child. The work of the famous painter, a native of Belice but who soon became Spoleto by adoption, son-in-law of Spain and a pupil of Raphael, had been inexplicably dull and partly hidden by a layer of mortar. In the vividness of their colors and in the elegance of the forms, the entire figure of the Madonna re-emerged, overlooking a church supported by three cherubs and, on the sides, the great figures of S. Sebastiano and S. Antonio Abate. The attribution is certain and the artefact is of great quality.

ikeharel, Fis2, papagolf21, pierrefonds, jhm, COSTANTINO, PiotrF marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17702 W: 130 N: 37185] (202724)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2015-03-07
  • Exposição: f/0.9, 30 segundos
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2020-09-30 0:38
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17702 W: 130 N: 37185] (202724)
View More Pictures