Fotos

Photographer's Note

Church of San Giovanni Battista - Manigi - Cascia

The parish church of San Giovanni Battista is located within the town.
Bishop Lascaris remembers five altars in the church: of San Giovanni, del Rosario, San Rocco, San Carlo and the Confraternity of the Sacrament.
The Church of San Giovanni Battista, built in 1460, has a single nave covered with truss vaults. The current sacristy, probably the ancient oratory, retains the entire fresco decoration dating back to 1482. The upper part of the frescoes is greatly deteriorated due to the collapse of the ceiling, now restored. On the back wall, in a second register, the Crucifixion between the Addolorata and San Giovanni Evangelista, dated 1482, and further away Santa Caterina d'Alessandria and Sant'Alena with the rediscovered cross is painted.
The upper part was damaged by the collapse of a vault and by the lowering of the exposed beam roof. In the lower section, which embraces all three walls, runs a false portico with trefoil arches resting on slender columns, in whose arches 14 images of Saints are painted with their respective names written in Gothic letters in the band below. On the left side you can see San Simone, San Mattia, San Tommaso, San Bartolomeo, San Giacomo Maggiore and Sant'Andrea. On the back wall, on the sides of the Madonna enthroned with the Child, Saint Paul, Saint John the Baptist, Saint Peter and Saint John the Evangelist are depicted. On the right wall, the series is interrupted by a splayed single lancet window in which the Trigram of Christ is painted and in the lateral convolutions San Benedetto and Santa Scolastica, demonstrating the Benedictine origin of the ancient oratory.
In the small portico that continues the figures of San Matteo, San Giacomo Minore and San Filippo appear. The stylistic analysis leads to attribute the frescoes to the first generation of the Sparapane, probably the work of Antonio di Giovanni Sparapane da Norcia.
Manigi also possessed a 13th century processional cross, in gilded copper sheet embossed on wooden armor, with trilobate panels adorned with globules with raised rib accompanied by dots. The Crucifix maintains Byzantine characteristics revealed by the open eyes of the triumphant Christ, victor over death, the ribs are marked and the feet superimposed unnaturally in profile. Above is a praying Angel, on the sides the Addolorata and San Giovanni, below the Skull on Mount Calvary. On the reverse, in the center is embossed in almond San Nicola di Bari and, in the tiles, the Symbols of the Evangelists: above the eagle, on the sides the lion and the ox, below the angel.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17997 W: 130 N: 37911] (205549)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Cor
  • Date Taken: 2016-02-06
  • Exposição: f/0.7, 30 segundos
  • Versão da Foto: Versão Original
  • Date Submitted: 2020-11-26 0:27
Viewed: 0
Points: 46
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17997 W: 130 N: 37911] (205549)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH