Photographer's Note

The most ancient palace in the Piazza dei Priori is the Palazzo dei Priori, the present day Town Hall designed by Richard of Como.

The façade has suffered several changes throughout the centuries. In 1472 when Volterra lost its administrative freedom, the loggia was demolished and the two entrances on the right closed. The terracotta coats of arms commemorate the commissioners who governed the city and the two lions are a symbol of Florentine rule. Between the windows on the ground floor, engraved on the wall, is the ancient measurement of the commune the “Canna Volterrana“.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1381
Points: 40
  • None
Additional Photos by Daniel Draghici (dkmurphys) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 5849 W: 83 N: 11987] (79209)
View More Pictures