Photographer's Note

The symbol of the city, the small fort on the island of St. Theodore.
It was built by the Venetians in 1471 (according to others in 1473). His first name was Castello dello Soglio, built by Italian engineer Gabello and fortified for the first time during the first Venetian. It consists of a tall octagonal tower (built during the second Venetian occupation from 1686 to 1715 while adding and fortifications covering entire area), flanked by low semicircular towers for the cannons to the east and the west. A mobile chain barred the entrance of the bay and Porto Cadena (Catena) - Port Chain - turned into a safe anchorage.
Mpourtzi ceased to be used as a fortress in 1865 and since then transformed into residence of the executioners of death row Palamidiou.

timecapturer, lgir, COSTANTINO, ourania, ChrisJ marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1224
Points: 10
  • None
Additional Photos by Lefteris Petroutsos (Lefteris13) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 12 W: 0 N: 51] (300)
View More Pictures