Photographer's Note

The name "Hilandar" is derived from chelandion, a type of Byzantine transport ship, whose skipper was called a "helandaris". The ancient cell of Helandaris was donated by Emperor Alexios III Angelos (1195–1203) "to the Serbs as an eternal gift..." and Stefan Nemanja establishes and endows the monastery in 1198 (before 13 February 1199).[2]
In 1426 Gjon Kastrioti from Albania and his three sons (one of them was Skanderbeg) donated the right to the proceeds from taxes collected from the two villages (Rostuša and Trebište in FYROM) and from the church of Saint Mary, which was in one of them, to the Hilandar where his son Reposh Kastrioti retired and died in 25 July 1431: in his honor the Saint George tower of Hilandar was known as the Albanian tower (Serbian: Arbanaški pirg).
On March 4, 2004, there was a devastating fire at the Hilandar monastery, with approximately 50% of the walled complex destroyed in the blaze. The blaze damaged the northern half of the walled complex, including the bakery. The library and the monastery's many historic icons were saved or otherwise untouched by the fire.
Vast reconstruction efforts are underway.
(fron Wikipedia)
In this photo you can see a part of the northern wall of its main church ("katholikon") with a lot of begolions built-in.
Photo processed in Photoshop.

Nobody marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1740
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Theologos Tats (thiv56) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 148 W: 50 N: 261] (1628)
View More Pictures