Photographer's Note

Lorette's hill was the object of numerous communiqués during the War 14-18. Donjon of the mining plain, its ownership allowed the observation and the cutting off of the armies. The Germans occupied it without a shot during the invasion and defended it cruelly. The Allies had respite to have reconquerred it. Thousands of men left their youth and their life in this "war of attrition" So that on May 10th, 1915, the French flag can again float on the oratory in ruins. More than 40 000 soldiers rest on the hill and their crosses organize a geometry decorated with flowers around the basilica. The lighthouse testifies of their suffering and their sacrifice.

jalab_temen marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1615
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Eric Lecocq (el7262) (32)
View More Pictures