Fotos

Photographer's Note

April 25th, 2010
Collioure 660053 66190
Pyrénées-Orientales Languedoc-Roussillon
42.527 3.084 20 m

The windmill of la Cortina, Collioure

One view.
Other view.

The mill de la Cortina, located on the hill of Pams, is one of the oldest mills of Roussillon, with cereals then with oil, gone back to 1340. Entirely restored by the town of Collioure in 2001.

The windmills convert the kinetic energy of the wind into mechanical energy. It were used to actuate grinding stones, pumps, saws, etc...
The wings of the mill are supported by a tower, whose roof carrying the axis of the mill is directional in the case of the mill-turn.
If the whole tower is directional, one speaks then about mill on pivot or with candlestick. A typical mill of Anjou, compromised between the precedents, is called mill cavier. The orientation of the mill is done by pushing the tiller or tail of the mill.
The wings are generally in wood some and covered with canvas. The rotational movement of the horizontal axis of the mill is transmitted to a vertical axis by a whole of gears, the wheel, often manufactured out of wood of various species chosen for their resistance.

Action, the Saint-Pierre-de-la-Fage windmill.

The windmill appeared in the East, Egypt and Iran. First mention of windmill in France, date of 1170, in a charter of the town of Arles. The Netherlands are probably the country which counted the greatest number of windmills.
The windmills were used incidentally as semaphores. Ansi, during the wars of the Vendée, the wings of the windmills of Mont des Alouettes indicated to Vendean the positions and movements of the republican troops.

COLLIOURE is a French commune, located in the department of the Pyrénées-Orientales of the Languedoc-Roussillon area, populated of 2763 Colliourencs in 1999, distributed out of 12 km², that is to say 228 hab./km².

Collioure is a Catalan village at the edge of the Mediterranean, on the Vermilion Coast, with 20 kilometers of the Spanish border.

The village of Collioure is quoted with 5th and 7th century, but was occupied as of prehistory.
The counts of Roussillon, kings d'Aragon, kings de Majorque, the Spanish sovereigns disputed Collioure and its area until 1643. Occupied by the troops of King of France Louis XIV, the area was annexed in France by the Treaty of the Pyrénées of November 7th, 1659.

Collioure was very known for its anchovies. It is it now for its sweet aperitif wines produced on slopes.

Henri Matisse, 1869-1954, and other initiating painters of the Fauvism, immortalized the city, his lanes, his roofs, his port, his bell-tower, his citadel, his bright light and his strong.strong.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3714
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7168 W: 0 N: 22964] (76043)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH