Photographer's Note

Windmill Island South.

The history of mills Brehat
The first mention of a mill on Brehat is due to an unfortunate episode of the island:
At the end of XIV century Britain is still independent and run by the Dukes. Families and Monfort Penthievre dispute the ducal title. The succession war is raging in the death of Duke Jean IV de Montfort.
Marguerite de Clisson, Duchess of Penthievre and pretender to the throne, rebelled against John V, Duke's son died. It then calls the English allies to defend him.
So the Queen of England sends her Admiral Edmund of Kent, who arrived in Brehat in 1409. These are English and raze the castle of the island (then located at An Aod ar Hastel south of Gardeno), looting and torching homes and killing residents. Brehat advocates are themselves hanging on the wings of the mill (probably that of Krec'h ar Pot). The English admiral to head and let the legend he was buried in Lavret, an island east of the archipelago.
In 1450, the Duke of Brittany Francis 1 (not to be confused with his namesake, King of France), ratified the donation of the island Brehat his uncle, Arthur of Brittany (Comte de Richemont, Constable of France and Duke of future Britain) is his natural daughter Jacqueline and husband of one, Arthur Brécart.
The first official mention mill Brehat is an admission (description of goods) of Francis Brécart, lord of the island, dating from 1539. He inherited from his father, Arthur, died in 1530, "Mills said place. The following clarification on the rental value, "who are accustomed Destre leased by common wheat spokes 13 years. At the time, it was very common to pay the rent in kind...

Theme Une journée à l'île de Bréhat

Cretense, ikeharel marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1669
Points: 12
Additional Photos by Valerie Leconte (Leconte) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 716 W: 58 N: 1031] (5795)
View More Pictures