Photographer's Note

The Place de la Comédie is the main focal point of the city of Montpellier, in the Hérault département in southern France. It is located at the south-west point of the city centre, where in previous times the fortifications of the city were located.

The square is first mentioned in 1755 and is named after the theatre located there, which burned down in 1785 and 1855.

The Place became the main focal point of the city when, in the mid-19th century the main railway station (Gare de Montpellier Saint-Roch) was built some 200 metres south of it. At that time, a smaller train going to the nearby beach at Palavas-les-Flots also had its provenance on the Place.

At the center of the square is a fountain called the Three Graces, built by sculptor Étienne d'Antoine in 1790. The original piece was placed in the Musée Fabre in 1989, but moved again during the refurbishment of the museum to the Opéra Comédie, which is located at the square.

At its northeastern corner the square continues into the Esplanade de Charles de Gaulle, a small park connecting the Place to the Corum, a large concrete and granite complex built by Claude Vasconi. At its southeastern corner it is linked to the Lycée Joffre, formerly the Citadel of Montpellier.

We use to name this place "The Egg" because of its shape. During summer, it's crowded, people crossing, other prefering having a break drinking coffee or fresh drinks. During Autumn and winter, the place changes its colours and mood, street markets, flee markets each morning, and nowadays "Bio" markets.

stefpat marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1485
Points: 1
  • None
Additional Photos by Clemence Castanier (FreewheelerBee) Silver Note Writer [C: 9 W: 0 N: 15] (263)
View More Pictures