Fotos

Photographer's Note

“If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed;
if in terms of ten years, plant trees;
if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.”

(Confucius)

---

In China today there are more than 400 million children aged under 15, and over 500 million aged under 18. This means there are almost twice as many children in China than the entire population of the United States.

---

The Convention on the Rights of the Child celebrates this year its 20th birthday, it was adopted on 20 November 1989. The Convention sets out children's rights in 54 articles and is guided by four fundamental principles:

1. Children should not suffer discrimination.
2. Children's best interests should be at the top of the agenda when decisions affecting them are being made.
3. Children have the right to survive and develop. This includes the right to mental and physical well-being.
4. Children should be free to express their views. And these views should be taken into account in all matters that affect them.

---

China aims to provide nine years of compulsory education for every child and to eradicate illiteracy. It has already taken significant measures in this direction, but significant challenges remain.

Children drop out of school each year because of poverty and because educational quality is low. Gender attitudes also reduce school completion rates for girls in some parts of China, and children of migrant families face severe challenges in completing their basic education.

Among school-age children, reportedly 99.1 per cent are attending school nowadays. The remaining 0.9 per cent, however, translates into around 1 million kids who could be the new illiterate generation in the making.

source: UNICEF, China Daily

---

This picture was taken in Luotiancun, a farming village in Jiangxi.

---

ISO-400

Polonaise, bisok marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1603
Points: 12
Discussions
Additional Photos by Benny Verbercht (BennyV) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2927 W: 35 N: 6377] (33274)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH