Photographer's Note

Gare de Limoges-Bénédictinsis the main railway station of Limoges. It is situated on the Orléans–Montauban railway. It was named Bénédictins due to the nearby presence of a Benedictine monastery closed during the French Revolution.

The first station jn Limoges , built of wood, opened on 16 June 1856. The first stone-built station opened in 1860. On 21 November 1918, the Limoges city council and the railway company signed an agreement regarding the construction of a new station. Work lasted from 1924 and 1929. The station was inaugurated on 2 July 1929.

Bénédictins station was designed by architect Roger Gonthier. A particularity of the station is that it was built over the ten railway lines as opposed to next to them. A large 90 by 78 metre platform was built over the line to support the station building.

The building is made of a concrete bone structure, filled in with limestone. The dome which covers the passenger concourse is made of a metallic framework, covered in copper. On the south-west corner is a 60 metre tall clock tower composed of twelve levels. It is mounted by a dome itself mounted by a five metre tall vase. Below these are four four metre wide clocks.

Taken from Wikipedia.

pierrefonds, Highmountains, Indrasish marcou esta nota como útil

Photo Information
Viewed: 1187
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29874] (130967)
View More Pictures