To PaulVDV: It never rains in California

• Hi Paul,
    just to make it clear: it never rains in June in Southern California but it is overcast. It may sometimes rain around February. When I was there it rained just a couple of days in a year. UCLA campus was empty on rainy days like European campuses are empty on heavy snowfall days. There was a little drizzle and people took out umbrellas, rain coats and drove extremely slowly on the roads.
    Heavier storms may happen in winter -I remember Death Valley was devastated by the storms once and many roads were closed due to the damage by the floods. It was just seasonal though. It is the best time to visit deserts after such rainy winters because everything blooms then.
    Of course there are some differences between Southern and Northern California. I am talking about So-Cal.
    Kind regards,
    Mariusz
  • Hi Mariusz,

When I was a kid, I thought all of California was always warm.
    I wasn't the only one with the wrong ideas because later I've heard many travellers complain about how chilly San Francisco could be in the summer months.

All the best !
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,
    California is quite a long state so the difference between Nor-Cal and So-Cal are quite big. So-Cal has always a nice weather with a bit clouds in the June and occasional rains in February
    San Francisco is quite a different story...
    Kind regards,
    Mariusz
  • Hi Mariusz,

When I was a kid there was a song 'On a warm San Franciscan night' (from The Animals).
    Perhaps that also contributed to my associating SF with warm weather.

Kind regards,
    Paul
  • California
    Hello Paul

Here's a climate map I found of the USA. All of California is classed as a Mediterranean Climate with hot dry summers and cold wet winters. Even a tiny bit of Oregon, which surprised me. Think of comparing northern Italy with Sicily. The hot summer is still there in north Italy, but much shorter. I could go swimming in Sicily in October with 30c, but it was down to 20c by the time I reached Verona, and overcast and foggy.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...or-colours.png
  • Yes I think the map is simplifies. The moderate climate in Southern California is just along narrow stretch of coast and it very quickly turns into hot desert inland with the obvious Death Valley being the hottest place on Earth (now and then). I think above San Francisco it gets very misty very fast. Rain forests etc. I suppose it is still warm but cloudier and rainier.
    Kind regards,
    M
  • Thanks Chris and Mariusz !

Kind regards,
    Paul