Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2020-06-17 14:37

Hi John,
it looks like a charming scene from a very colorful event in your town. So pity it was cancelled. Your reportage is reminding us about it . I see taking photos of children in Scotland is not a crime yes as it is in England. I am even worried about photographing landscapes that a child may be present there...
Great quality capture, so full of life and color,
M

Old 06-19-2020, 07:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Photographing the ceremony or event.....

Hi Mariusz,

Thank you for your kind words about this one!

Yes, I fully agree with your worries about photographing people and, particularly, children and I certainly would never contemplate even thinking about photographing children in the street or in parks, etc. because we seem to have become so paranoid these days about photography. It seems to me so strange that so many people, especially young ones, are constantly snapping away photos of themselves, their friends or anyone else with their mobile phones - but as soon as anyone appears with a "real" camera like a DSLR, they are immediately considered to be either a paedophile or a terrorist.

But the scene in Lanark this day was quite different. There were parades, processions, people dressed up, dancing in the street and others putting on performances and anxious to be seen - and, as such, I suppose they were almost asking to be photographed. There were lots of people snapping away with their mobile phones, people taking pictures with cameras and parents taking videos of their children in the processions and so on. There were also photographers from the local newspapers - and many pictures like mine were printed out in those papers the following week.

To be honest, I think there are very few places where taking photographs in public is actually a crime but there are many people who will look upon it as such - and that includes not only members of the public but also some members of the police, security services and so on as well. It really is a worrying state of affairs and I think quite a few people have run into trouble with authorities through no fault of their own. I would be happy to take shots again on Lanimer Day in Lanark though I must admit that I wouldn't be quite so comfortable about it as I was then. .And I certainly wouldn't even dream about doing it at any other time.

Now I've just remembered that I took note of an article I read in the Sunday Times about 10 years ago so I'm attaching it here for you to have a read. The trouble with this site is that the size limit for a document attachment is on 18 Kb (which is crazy), so I've had to shrink it to a txt. document - the words are all there but it's all a bit spread out and not very easy to read! Anyway, see what you think!

Best Wishes,

John.