Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2015-01-23 4:54

Hi Gert
At last I have time to have a look at your photos from Vietnam which you uploaded when I was away - I would hate to miss them! Lovely series of everyday shots and this one is especially appealing - you caught this lady in just the right moment, oblivious of you pointing a camera at her.
Those were the times to travel to Vietnam. I'm worried it will change completely before I get there.
Have a nice weekend
Kasia

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM
TE Expert

Default To kasianowak: change

Thank you Kasia for your kind comments on this photo and the other one.
Vietnam has already changed completely but it will remain a nice country I am sure. I was there in the autumn of 93, just a few months after it had been opened for individual tourists. I returned in the spring of 95 and it was already a very different country. There were possibly ten times as many hotels and restaurants and many more people who could speak some English. In 2008 it felt like I imagine Thailand.
If you want to go somewhere in Asia not spoiled by mass tourism I would suggest Bangladesh or East Timor or maybe remote parts of Indonesia (absolutely not Bali; it was hopeless already in the 70's). Tajikistan is probably relatively untouched as well.
Where are you heading next time?
Gert
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Where next

Thank you for your suggestions Gert! Most of them already on the list but I'm adding East Timor as we speak.
I'm planning to go to Burma this autumn and to Indonesia next year (but can't decide whether I prefer to see Mount Bromo or meet the Batak people - possibly both!).
For less "exotic" locations, I'm going to Slovenia in a week and to Iceland in March.
Best wishes
Kasia
Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 PM
TE Expert

Slovenia is very nice, so you should have a good trip. Iceland seems to be a place where "everyone" is going nowadays, but maybe not in March. I have never been there though.
Have a nice time in Slovenia.
Gert
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Default change

Thank you Gert!
I've been to Iceland twice (have you seen the photo of my tent?? ) but that was 10 and 9 years ago. It was July/August and the country was practically empty - a few miles from Reykjavik you could put a tripod in the middle of the main road. I've heard it has changed, especially since it became cheaper after the last economic crisis.
I didn't think you would - you told me you liked warmer places than e.g. Abisko to travel to.
Kasia
Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM
TE Expert

Yes, I've seen your tent. I didn't actually remember it but I was reminded now. Sleeping in a tent, or trying to, in March should be great and comfortable. I wish you every success.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default change

Even in July, it was quite a challenge!
I'm planning to sleep in my rental car most of the nights. I have not done it in winter so far so will see how it goes!
Have you watched Into the Wild movie (or read the book)?
Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM
TE Expert

Yes I saw the movie. It was quite good. Don't tell me you are as stubborn and half crazy as that guy.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default change

Nah, I wouldn't burn money. It may come in handy...
I liked that movie too btw.

Last edited by kasianowak; 01-23-2015 at 07:23 PM.