Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2012-07-28 15:23

Ciao cara Lisa,

Molto delizioso!

Despite what you say, I think this is a smashing photograph - it makes me drool, so it must be good.

It makes me think immediately of one of my favourite TV chefs - Antonio Carluccio, a lovely big teddy-bear of a man who is just so enthusiastic about food, cooking and eating. And of course, our own British cookery writer, Delia Smith, and this lovely recipe.

As I say, I love this picture. The lighting, to my mind, is perfect and I don't think that the mozarella is overexposed, but the light and shade on those delicious basil leaves is just out of this World - it's superb. And the tomatoes are obviously Mediterranean ones - not those things we get in supermarkets here and which are full of water and seeds with precious little flesh.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 AM
TE Expert

Talking To tyro: Bravo Giovanni!

Bravo Giovanni

Thank you for your beautiful critique and the links. Of course you would love Antonio Carluccio, he's Neapolitan! . Funnily enough, his surname can also mean Big Carl in the dialect and is What Ive nicknamed Carlo62 here on TE

I love Delia Smith, have lots of her cookbooks, whichever were among the first I ever owned. She shouldve been knighted if she hasnt been already!

Are you enjoying the Olympics? Great opening ceremony! I think it Will be' the best yet. I havent been on TE so much as its been living me viruses, as with Ann & Will too. I can only access TE via IPhone. Check the General Forum for more info, i hope its not affecting you too!

Un abbraccio
Lisa
Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
TE Expert

Default Neopolitans and Trojans.......

Ciao cara Lisa,

Gosh, I didn't know that Antonio Carluccio was Neopolitan - so that's why I like him so much! I love Italian food, of course, and I was actually looking for one of Delia's recipes - you must have tried it - where you arrange rows of alternating slices of tomato, mozzarella and fried courgettes in a dish, slobber on some olive oil, salt and black pepper and bung it in the oven until the cheese goes all gooey - fabulous! - and not a calorie in sight!

No, I don't appear to have caught the virus or Trojan which is going around. I use ZoneAlarm (the free version) as a firewall and it seems pretty good. I also use the (also free) Microsoft Security Essentials which hasn't picked up anything and, earlier today, I scanned my computer with Spybot (also free!) which failed to pick up anything. I think I did pick up something with Spybot and the Microsoft thing a couple of months ago when TE seemed to be speading some virus but I managed to get rid of it easier than some folk have. Of course, being a bit "anal", I do tend to keep an open eye for that sort of thing. Maybe not anal - maybe more paranoid?

Anyway, time to go to bed. Pity there's no mozzarella in the 'fridge. Bugger.

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:10 AM
TE Expert

Talking Giovanni - Chef Extraordinaire

Caro Giovanni

Yes, time for you to get to bed you naughty man, jeez I don't know who's naughtier: you or Brian Mc who also seems to be burning the midnight oil Oh yeah and I got the link to the Delia salad recipe, yep that's Caprese Salad, a Neapolitan specialty no less, originating from the Isle of Capri!

I think the recipe you mean is Parmigiana di Melanzane. I don't have a Delia recipe for it, but certainly have a Super Zia recipe if you want it:

Eggplant Parmigiana

Make a tomato sauce with garlic, chilli, onions, tomatoes and basil (I also add some stock and white wine along with S&P to taste)

Slice the eggplant (aubergines) lengthways, leave the skin intact, soak in salty water with a bit of lemon for a few hours. Rinse and dry off

Fry the aubergines on both sides with plenty of oil - pat dry on paper towelling

In a large oven-proof dish, alternate layers of the aubergines, with the tomato sauce and the cheese (pecorino, parmigiano, or grana padano)

Cover the final layer with cheese and bake in a very hot oven for 40 minutes or until crust is golden

Buon appetito!

Yeah the virus thing is bugging me, I hope it gets fixed soon and I'm glad to hear you've not been affected.

Buona nottata
Lisa

Last edited by delpeoples; 07-29-2012 at 02:15 AM.