Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

sharada 2009-07-17 10:44

Manikarnika ghat at Kaashi (Varanasi/Benaras). No stench of death, not even a whiff here due to the wood used. Women do not usually come or stand here, due to various reasons. The scene usually has those who have departed and those practically concerned with the departures. Onlookers are welcome, if they can stand the moment. Cows, dogs, goats wander freely looking for a bite, apart from human beings looking 'left-over' remains. The best aspect of this photo is that nearly 80% of this photo is about death while the remaining is the connection of death rites at this place: Ganga at Manikarnika. The photo would have to be taken from the tower terraces, the tower within which the flame lighting these fires is kept burning. The fire inside is not allowed to go out and the fires outside never die out, there are atleast two pyres burning there at any given time.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To sharada: good info

Hey,
Thanks for the extra info. Yes it was from one of the tower terraces, but an abandoned one from memory - I saw no flame inside. It was a matter of paying a bakshish to some guy who offered to lead me up there.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To sharada: good info

Thanks for writing back. My note was addressed more to the visitors on yr photo, than you yourself. You have been there, you know. The fire is kept in one of the rooms on the ground floor of the huge building with all the towers. This is the ghat of the sannyasis, the renunciates; while the Dashashwamedh ghat is the ghat of householders, those who desire fruits of their actions and fulfilment of their desires. Therefore, ocasionally, one finds a sannyasi/wannabes coming to Manikarnika and just 'being' there. Strictly speaking, sannyasis must bathe only at this ghat. Adi Shankaracharya did when he lived in Kaashi. His living quarters were on Mankarika ghat.