Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great batalay 2009-01-04 6:56

Hello Ken,

In this beautifully composed shot, you've produced a genuinely timeless image. Except for the young woman wearing slacks (instead of a skirt), it could very well have been shot in the 40s or 50s. I didn't know that the Parisians had succumbed to the need to build a huge ferris wheel in the manner of a number of other European peoples. B&W fits perfectly in this image. So, four weeks ago you were in Paris.

Happy New Year,

Bulent

Old 01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To batalay: Paris

Hello Bulent--

I was in Paris for two weeks last month, for a conference and then a research collaboration. The ferris wheel in Place de la Concorde appears to be temporary for the holidays--I think if they were putting one permanently they would choose a less historically significant "sacred" location. Otherwise it would be worse than the outcry when the Eiffel Tower was first built, when a group of artists and writers wrote to the French government, "Is this the horror that the French have created in order to impress us with their vaunted taste?...We loathe the prospect of a dizzily ridiculous tower dominating Paris like a gigantic black factory chimney."

Regards, Ken