Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

BP007 2007-08-05 22:17

I debated over whether to post this comment, because on one hand I don’t want to destroy any illusion you may have of the young subjects in your photo, but I also think you should be aware of what’s really happening.
The reality is these boys are getting ‘high’ on glue or solvents impregnated in the cloth they are breathing through. This is quite common in larger Indian cities, and is unfortunately spreading to Regional centres as well.
Judging by their appearance, these boys seem to be relatively new to this activity. But once the addiction has taken hold, there is no going back as young brain cells are destroyed completely by this kind of abuse.
Again, I’m sorry to break it to you in this way, but now you know what’s going on, next time you may take another approach.
I’m not saying you should definitely get involved on a personal level, but on a couple of occasions when I have come across young children in this situation (early experimentation), I have taken away their ‘implements’, taken them home and told their parents (or teachers).
In the ‘big picture’ this may well be none of my business, but it’s a situation that’s difficult to ignore.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
TE Newbie

Default To BP007: Sorry for not finding your message earlier!

Being new to Trekearth, I don't know how to use it fully. It was perhaps the reason that I missed this valuable comment of yours till today. What you are telling is really serious matter but it can be put to use if such situation is witnessed again somewhere. I was in Delhi for changing train only and might not have had the time to visit their parents / teachers even if I had known their condition.

Still, I am thankful to you for guidance.

Sushant Singhal