Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Darren 2006-06-12 14:12

This seems to have done very well, but I will go against the grain and say that I dn't care for it all that much. You are just in way too tight for my tastes. Not only has that cut out an context, even clothing or jewelry has been cropped away, but it is not at all flattering to your subject. Every pore is visible, as is the makeup she has piled on. At the very least, you should have done some softening rather than sharpening (there are a million ways this can be done, check out atncentral.com for some actions to do so). I also find her look/gaze rather ambiguous. She is not looking at you, which is fine, but I don't get the feeling that what she is looking at is all that intriguing to her either. Sorry David, but you have much better shots in your portfolio.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Darren: cheers

hey darren

thanks for writing ... i appreciate the honest criticism.

i like my portraits to be very personal, and i agree that this is far from my best.

would you be more impressed if i said i was standing about 15 feet away from her using a zoom lens in low light?? haha!!

she was looking at me a moment earlier and i got that in a shot, but i wasn't happy with the focus or framing.

as for soft focus, i'm not a big fan. i think there's something fake about them. i like grittiness. but each to his own hey!!

again, thanks for the straight forward critique. much appreciated.

regards

david