Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement lu_muratori 2006-02-04 3:24

Hello Sangeeta, i think that in order to get a photo of someone you must interact with that person, know about their feelings and ask if it is possible to take the photo. then you can sort of direct them not to look at the camera or try to get a natural looking face but in this shot i can see clearly that this man is upset about getting his photo taken and i don't think he liked it at all.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 PM
TE Newbie

Default To lu_muratori: I understand

Hi, thanks for your POV

I totally understand what you are saying. It's a primary thing in street photography. Especially in India. :-) I asked him... Otherwise he wouldn't agree... we don't speak the same language, but if he didn't like being photographed he would have turned his face away. That's the way people behave on streets in India.

He wasn't upset... He had this same expression every day, every minute I saw him... ha ha ha. And I felt sad for him...

A) because he was getting the heat of a huge wok, About 3 feet in diameter, full of boiling hot oil.
B) He was standing like that for a long time.
C) I guess as a routine work he wasn't enjoying much... yet he was doing it... THAT's daily life... That's the paradox of life on the streets of India.

I hope it will suffice that his feelings were writ large on his face. A very tedious job. And my sympathies went out to him. :-)
And now I know even you can read it on his face...
I didn't want to get a smile or artificial expression.... wanted to catch reality and caught it....

Please keep reviewing my pics... it's a gr8 forum to share not just photos but also feelings about the people and coutries.

regards
sangeeta
Old 02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To lu_muratori: I understand

Interesting thread! I think that there are two ways to capture a portrait: using a tele, so the subject doesn't know what is happening. But much betteris a relation between the two people, so it is necessary to exchange some words, some smiles, and ask him to continue his job, he must understand a little why we choose him for a pic.
In TE there are wonderful Indian people pics, I suggest to look at them, es by Oochappan, Clodreno, etc
Ciao!
Livia
Old 02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks.... yeah I have seen their photos they are really nice. I particularly like the Anand's photos. (anandselvi) he is master of street photos...
I mostly take a lot of childrens fotos when I travel in north India. But being a north Indian I had trouble communicating with south Indians.
The funniest part is I bought so many chips packets from him and talked to him everyday, in whatever little broken Hindi and Malayalam I knew... but to him I was just another tourist...even if I am Indian.

Also this is a problem in certain areas & certain states where foreign visitors are more....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:35 PM
TE Expert

What you tell is very interesting and funny!! You boght so many chips packet!!
Well,I'd have the same problems if I had to shot at Italian people!
Ciao! Livia