Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great peppe59 2009-07-27 11:27

Ciao Kinga,
thanks for compliment, reciprocation for your young person but splendid gallery. I insert your name between my group " gli amici di giuseppe " " the friends of giuseppe " Thanks and compliment.
Peppe59

Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To graffer: Boats in Padstow Harbbour.

Hi Peter
Thankyou for your comments.Being new to T.E and not used to the 'lingo'in critique I think I understand your suggestions, and do welcome any advice given.
Kind regards
Gladys.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To graffer: Boats in Padstow Harbbour.

Hello Gladys,

I may have confused you slightly in my use of "TE lingo"!

Perhaps the following explanation may be helpful.

There are two dimensions to a posted picture, pixel size - say 800x500, and file size - measured in Kb which is the amount of digital information - the more Kb the better the picture quality.

I donít know what software you are using for your PP [post processing]. However, when you have done as much of PP on the full-sized image as you need - and you should do everything but final sharpening at full size - there comes a time when you have to reduce the pixel size down to the 800 maximum, then "Save As" this upload image as near the TE/TL 300kb limit as you can.

This requires compression of the JPEG image, and at the point when you come to "Save As" the new size or posting, most software programs offer an option in a dialogue box, so that you can vary the amount of compression to achieve the desired file size.

In PhotoShop there is also "Save for Web", where there is an option to specify the required maximum file size. Unfortunately using this method wipes the EXIF data. EXIF is the file data as to exposure details, time and date taken etc., attached to every image your camera takes. When you upload an image with intact EXIF data, TE can read it, and it is shown alongside your posting.

I mostly use Photoshop 7, but I also use a very good freeware program called FastStone [Google it!] for organising my photographs. It is a bit like Picasa, which you probably know about, but it has better PP features, and is excellent for resizing images and for adding text and frames.

A lot of TE/TL members use and recommend BD-Sizer, which is another free download.

Compression artefacts: If you magnify your Padstow picture so that you can see the individual pixels, then look at the borer between the trees and the sky you will see what I mean.

I hope you can understand all this - please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Best wishes,

Peter.