Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great fireflyz 2005-10-11 18:51

Hi Jenny,
A fantastic portrait shot! I like everything about it. The only small thing I would do different would be adjusting the White Balance. It's a bit greenish.
I really like the DOF so the the lines of his face are well pronounced.
Cheers,
Skye

Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TE Newbie

Default To fireflyz: name calling

thanks for your comment about the white balance...how do i change that then? i'm a total photoshop novice & am just stumbling around blindly discovering new things i can do. today i removed a pole from someone's head, i hope they feel better now.

on an entirely different subject i'm a bit freaked out that you wrote to me. not because you're you, but because of your name. a few days ago i decided that i'm changing my name to skye. with an 'e', like the island in scotland. i've never felt like a jenny, or a jennifer and always loved the name skye. so, how's the name working out for you?!!!!!

anyway, sorry if this makes me sound like a psycho, i was going to say that i'm not, but well, it's all relative, eh

keep it unreal, jenny
Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To fireflyz: name calling

Haha! You are one funny girl Jenny! :) I enjoyed your reply.

One simple way to get the proper white balance in Photoshop is pressing shift+cntrl+L (shift+apple+L in mac) which will do an Auto Levels but sometimes is best to do them manually by pressing cntrl+L (apple+L mac). Here is a good tutorial on white balance.

As for the name skye, it's a long story but I'll try to make it short. I used to be in sales long time ago and decided to pick a first name that didn't sound as weird or unusual as my real name to my verbally challenged audiences. I picked a few uncommon names and ask some friends to vote for one and the winner was Skylar so that was my new name. After a while my friends thought that was too long and started calling me "Sky" for short. Later I found out Skye was short for Skylar.. anyways.. I now look at it more as a handle than name :) aren't all names handles anyway?
I get mostly positive feedbacks for my name. Many people think I'm a "Love Child" of some hippy parents which doesn't bother me. Go ahead and experiment. You can always change back to Jenny.
Later freak! ;)

Skye
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 AM
TE Newbie

cheers skye...i'll have a look at the tutorial tomorrow. it's 2am here, in delhi, and it's maybe not the best time to try to learn something new AND technical.

thanks for sharing some more background on 'skye'...yeh, all names are just handles and totally unimportant, but 'jenny' is just a bit on the dull side for me just now. i decided to start introducing myself as skye when i leave delhi and head to my next destination. i still can't believe that someone called skye contacted me whilst i'm making this decision...such a strong sign. i've never 'met' anyone called skye before...the only one i know of is the lead singer of morcheeba.

anyway, it's late and i'm rambling. have you travelled in iran by the way? it's on my list for the future; i was in pakistan earlier this year & it's without a doubt the best country i've been to...the travellers i met there said iran was even better. so many places, so little time.

keep on truckin'
hmmmmmmm...seems weird to write 'jenny' now. ok. i can be 'freak' in this transitional period! let's try again...something like....

keep on truckin'
freak
Old 10-14-2005, 03:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Sorry I got tied up and forgot to reply.
Well, I traveled inside Iran when I was a kid. I remember many nice places but I'm not sure how it is now but I also hear good things. It's so much different than Pakistan or India but there are similarities as well. The places I really liked were: Isfahan, the north near caspian sea and the western mountains where my grand father used to live.

much love!

PS: morcheeba rocks! you like them?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:00 AM
TE Newbie

Default pakistan...

yeh, i'm sure iran would be very different in many ways...a lot more developed for one thing. but it's the hospitality which i've heard is amazing. well, people said it was better than in pakistan & for me, pakistan just blew me away with how friendly & welcoming the people are. walking down any street you'd be asked to go for at least 3 chais a kilometre...and it's not at all like in india where the person inviting you would want something in return. you'd get on a bus & someone would pay for your ticket, without you even knowing who it was!

my favourite moment, which almost reduced me to tears, was at a sufi festival in lahore. i'd only been in pakistan for a couple of days and the owner of the guest house took me and a couple others to this amazing sufi festival. the festival was out of this world (i'll write about it when i post the photo i took there) but the touching moment was when a guy came up to me and put something in my hand, i didn't see what it was, and he said 'welcome to my country'. then disappeared into the crowd. i looked at what he'd given me and it was a beautiful pendant with a stone so rare that no jeweler has been able to tell me what it is...all they say is 'very rare'. he wanted nothing other than to give. people in pakistan were so genuinely happy to see travellers...i didn't have one single negative experience in my 6 weeks there.

anyway, i'm rambling. i find it devestating how few tourists there are in pakistan, but that's also one of its plus points. almost all the travellers there are wonderful and interesting people; from a couple who'd cycled a tandem bike all the way from austria, to an english guy who'd bought horses in delhi & was trying to get to beijing!!! if you ever get the chance to go to pakistan, jump at it! the photography there is amazing too. not once did anyone ask me for money, after i'd taken someone's photo they would often give *me* something. i've got over 100 photos sitting in my room which i have promised to send to people there...now i have to find the addresses!

i think i've heard of isfahan...everyone raves about iran. one day i'll get there!

morcheeba - yeh, they're great...always remind me of my student days. absolutely fantastic live. skye's (!!) got great energy on stage & really gets the crowd going.

hmmmm. bit of a random, mammoth reply. whenever i get started talking about pakistan it's almost impossible to shut me up!

did i write 'much love' somewhere in a reply to you? i'm not sure whether you're saying that naturally or if you're taking the p1ss because it's something i wrote. it's how i close all my emails, so it's pretty natural if i've written it somewhere.............
Old 10-15-2005, 01:09 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: pakistan...

I very much enjoy you're rambling! Sorry I'm replying a bit late but it was the first thing I read today and enjoyed your pleasant experience in pakistan. That is one thing that bothers me here in the west when most people in those countries are very warm and friendly but they have such a negative or evil image here in the west. I guess we should thank the media for that.. anyways..

Looks like you really met some interesting tourists as well! Wow! what a great journey you are having! keep shooting and share with us your photos and experiences. I love to hear more!

I just naturally wrote "much love". A bit spooky,.. but I do finish off my notes often like that too. Though usually with friends I know.. here is another one I use much: luvyah!

Have a great weekend! I won't be back online till monday so don't think I'm "taking the p1ss" :)
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: pakistan...

hello skye,

glad you like the rambles...i enjoy rambling. i'm spending far too much time on this website & not enough time out taking photos. still, sometimes it's good to have a break, but i should be making the most of this digital slr my uncle's lent me. i'm planning to get a nikon d70 when i get to bangkok, you happy with yours?

really though, you don't even want to get me started on the western media & people from 'home's' perception of places like pakistan. ever read noam chomsky? he's got really interesting things to say about the workings of the media. before i announced to my family that i was going to pakistan (when i was already in india), i told my aunt & uncle, who are expats living in delhi. they generally freak out less about my travels than my parentals...but not this time. i came to the conclusion it was because they've been reading the indian papers for 5 years. seriously, every day there's a new pakistan-hate article. even in the media just now (after the devestating earthquake near islamabad) many of the articles are negative; things about pakistan crossing the line of control, or turning down aid from india. it's ridiculous. they can put a negative spin on everything. even when, at the same time, india's turning down aid from america and that's a positive in the newspapers!!!

the worst example i've seen (i might as well continue rambling....*you* started it!) was just before i left to go to pakistan. in the same edition of the same newspaper there were 2 articles. one about what a great thing it was, india buying these fighter jet monsters from america...in order to defend themself against the terror that is pakistan. and in another section there was an article about pakistan buying fighter jets, from america, in order to create terror. H E L L O ! ! ! ! they're the same planes! why not save your pennies & put them into something useful like education or healthcare? not only is this an example of crazy journalism, but there's only one nation benefiting! can both of these developing countries please stop giving first world countries money in a vain attempt to destroy each other?

please don't think i'm down on america; it's the whole of the west that infuriates me!

right, it's now after 3am & that's certainly enough from me. i did say not to get me started on the media......

have a great weekend.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:20 AM
TE Newbie

Skye:
Sorry to interrupt you but I must tell you I appreciate so much your link to "white balance" topic.

BTW, could you give me some info about the availability for an American citizen to visit Iran. What is the process and whjat is your personal advice for a one-week visit?

Thanks,

NS
Old 10-18-2005, 03:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello NgocSon,
I'm sorry to respond late to your post. I've been very busy. I'm glad you found the link helpful. As for visa for Iran, I can't really tell you since I haven't been to Iran since early 80s. I know that it's not hard to get a visa but it takes sometime and especially if you have certain backgrounds such as Vietnamese you're in fact favored (it's a political thing). However, I found this LINK which seems to have good information on it.
If you have vietnamese passport, I highly recommend using it. It's a lot easier and faster to go through than an american passport.
Cheers,
Skye