Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ChrisJ 2022-06-20 0:42

Hej Gert

An unusual sight of the semi wild deer almost in the heart of the city. In Canada they had vegetated wildlife overpasses crossing major highways through the Canadian Rockies. Great idea except wolves are smart and one will chase the deer across the bridge and a 2nd in waiting will take down a deer as it exits the bridge on the other side. But wolves are not a problem in Stockholm. Here's a wildlife bridge in southern Brisbane to give you an idea. They get used by kangaroos, wallabies etc and there are no predators apart from pythons. Too cold and built up here for crocodiles. Tfs!

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Amy-Blacker/publication/29468039/figure/fig2/AS:[email protected]/The-land-bridge-over-Compton-Road-southern-Brisbane-also-showing-exclusion-fencing.png

And an aerial view from Banff

https://www.vmcdn.ca/f/files/rmotoday/images/1cpaws.jpg;w=725;h=483;mode=crop

Old 06-20-2022, 08:11 AM
TE Expert

Default To ChrisJ: city animals

Thank you Chris,
Such highway overpasses are fairly common in Sweden too. I have seen photos similar to the one in your link.
Just a few days after I took these pictures there were reports of a young moose running along some major streets on Södermalm and near the entrance to the major hospital. Police had to shoot it because it was too close to playgrounds and gardens and didn't show any intention of leaving the area.
A few years ago there were reports, and photos to prove it, of a wolf running down a major street on Södermalm in the middle of the night. It was followed from a distance by a police car, but it was smart enough to run into a street that would take it away from the island into a forested area outside the inner city.
Best regards,
Gert