Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-06-26 3:52

Hello Chris,
Well taken photos from difficult angles in difficult light. The painting in the WS makes me curious. I wonder what the Swedish ships were doing there. Had they been captured in a battle, or did they visit Denmark during a temporarily peaceful period? An important peace treaty, where Denmark had to concede large territories, was signed in Roskilde cathedral in 1658, but by then Christian IV had already been dead for 10 years.
Regards,
Gert

Old 06-26-2021, 11:51 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: History

Hi Gert

I found this

"Under the command of the brilliant Swedish Field Marshal Torstensson, the Swedes invaded most of Denmark. All, it seemed, was lost. Christian IV was not about to roll over that easily. The king rallied his men, raised his armies, repaired his ships, and in general succeeded in stopping Torstensson from advancing any further. At the battle of Colberger Heide, the king himself was present when his Danish fleet intercepted Torstenssonís attempts to penetrate deeper into Denmark. Despite being wounded when a cannon exploded just beside him, the king refused to leave the deck until the Danes had won the day, thereby setting an example to his frightened and tired men.
Ultimately, it didnít help. The Swedes emerged victorious, and Christian had to sign away substantial parts of his kingdom in the Treaty of BrŲmsebro in 1645."

The cause reminded me of Troy. Neighbors annoyed by a hefty passage tax through a sound. Both Sweden and Holland were angry with Denmark for fees charged by Denmark to enter the Baltic Sea.

" He (Christian IV) decided to do this (restore the empty coffers) by raising the Sound Dues (all ships wanting to enter the Baltic Sea had to go through ÷resund, the Sound, controlled by Denmark. An excellent source of income, as per Christian). This measure made Christian very popular at home. Money came pouring in, the empty Danish coffers filled up neatly, and everyone was happy. Not. The Swedes were pissed off, as were the Dutch. Our elderly king (because by now Christian was fast approaching his sixty-fifth birthday) had a new war on his hands."

Source: http://www.annabelfrage.com/2015/06/...-christian-iv/

So the Danes won a battle, but lost a war.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:13 PM
TE Expert

Bad history. Moving the battles to the football grounds seems better.
Gert
Old 06-26-2021, 05:58 PM
TE Expert

Hej Gert

Agreed. There is an image of the Battle of Colberger Heide in the link below and it also mentions Christian IV lost an eye. The painting shows his eye bandaged. Christian IV is the overweight gentleman in the centre of the painting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Colberger_Heide

It was unjust for Denmark to charge a tax on international waters which Holland & Sweden needed to traverse for trade, to enter or leave the Baltic Sea. Most wars are pretty pointless and more a show of bravado or power. But in this case Denmark reaped what it sowed. Lets hope they do better at football. Christian Eriksen has recovered from his heart attack :-) and now has a pacemaker and might yet defeat Wales. Have a nice Sunday.