Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2022-01-20 8:21

Hi Paul,
Does it mean that you left without paying for this photo?
It is quite an awkward situation.
I remember in Turkey when I wanted to buy some Turkish specialties. It was in Side a very touristic place. The price they quoted for nougat was 10 times the price in the UK so I started to bargain and they started to yell at me that they are not savages and they don't bargain. Just in case to avoid situations like that I don't like photographing "traditionally" dressed people walking around the ruins. In Egypt it was quite obvious for me that "traditionally" dressed people were not real life locals but people trying to earn money.
At least these two guys had really very brightly colored outfits, ha ha
Very well done,
M

Old 01-20-2022, 05:29 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: A correct amount

Thank you Mariusz,

I had already paid the man in red the amount my guide suggested as a tip for both.
Both 'sadhus' clearly belonged together.

I refused the extra that the man dressed in yellow asked.
I would have expected that he would have said that I made a mistake, that the amount I had given was for his partner and that he wanted something for himself too. That would be a more logical trick.
However, on the contrary, he asked an enormous multiple.
50 US$ is not the amount of a tip in a poverty-stricken country like Nepal.

It was even much more than my overnight including breakfast in a decent budget hotel in Kathmandu which was not even the cheapest budget hotel.
It was also many times more than the amount of a full evening meal including beer in a tourist restaurant.

In India and Nepal I have not been stingy with a tip for the poorest who you may sometimes find in the streets.
But asking a completely crazy high amount only does a loan shark.
Humans have a task to help people in need, not pay loan sharks.

Your story about Turkey reminds me of my experiences in Morocco.
Many immigrants or descendants of Moroccon immigrants live in Belgium. Some have a shop where they sell Moroccan products. These can be food, but can also be typical handicraft products such as carpets, leather, etc.

In shops in the souks in Marrakech and Fez I sometimes saw higher prices for these items than asked in Belgium.
First of all, I buy very little when I travel. Furthermore, I will never buy something that I like but that I know is cheaper in Belgium.
When I told the shopkeepers in Morocco that I could buy a product of the same quality in a Moroccan shop in Brussels, people refused to believe me. According to them, that was impossible. The shopkeepers in Belgium naturally bought in bulk and therefore had better prices.

I cannot remember to have met those traditionally dressed men in ancient ruins in Egypt. Perhaps I've been lucky.
Compared to Morocco or Tunisia, I found Egypt a very 'easy' country.

Kind regards,
Paul