Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-25-2004, 04:23 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: The purpose of points ......... again

Yes, a redundant theme on the forum but it seems that it is necessary once in a while to shake the fleas off our backs... and the humorous way you did it Luko makes my day.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Just want to add, in order that I am not misunderstood:
that when I say we should "shake the fleas off our backs" I meant that in my case it's about time I come back on track and stop towing the party line. Nothing to do with comparing "fleas" to some high-point members.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
TE Newbie

I don't understand or care about the points, but I must say I think Josť is worth every point he's got.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:47 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Maybe it's time...

Time for Adam to open a third site.

On the opening page he could post the Image of the Day, Image of the Week, Best Damn Image Ever Posted, ....

He could call it something like "Trek Ultra - Photography as a Competitive Sport".

;o)
Old 08-20-2004, 05:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Maybe it's time...

I just read Lukos very funny remarks above, brilliant.

They should be posted in Tips-Techniques !!

maybe the TOS too : )

Bryan
Old 08-21-2004, 10:32 AM
TE Newbie

I tend to agree to some of the opinions expressed earlier about the impression that the TE has become a "race for points". I've been much less active in the last few months (for various reasons) and yes the number of critiques that I receive has decreased as well. If you stop playing the "points game", don't expect others to play the game for you. It's a fact of life and I accepted it. No complaints, no worries.

Most (but not all) of the critiques I received nowadays are from a circle of TE-friends. In fact, eventhough the number of received critiques has dropped for me, but those critiques have become more useful because you are more objective among friends. So on the plus side, the critiques that I get are generally more useful and go beyond the "great shot, great colours" generalisations, and I therefore tend to be more selective so I can take time to write a better review.

I believe that TE's concept is still good, despite the "points race", bacause one can apply personal filters to be selective in what one wants to see, read and write reviews about.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:10 PM
TE Newbie

I really don't enjoy it when things become too competitive, it spoils the joy and pleasure I find in photography. It is enough for Me just to share images of where We all live, and visit, recieve and make constructive suggestions, but I just won't judge someone elses work. It was lovely to them, I will try to find that in it. I may say,try this, or that, but never anything to discourage them from trying.
There are too many who practice photography as though they were going to war. They are not having nearly as much fun as I am!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: supercallifragilistielidicius

LOL
ROFFLE
:D
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree people must accept criticism. But also believe that when someone exposes by posting a photo we must be careful not to hurt that person. With the time and after knowing that person better we can be harder.

I am in agreement with you on this. It would be very discouraging to someone new to have their worked harshly critiqued. And maaaaaybe, people who have been on here longer have just gotten better at taking photos? That is one of the things this site is intended for, yes?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 AM
TE Junior Member

"I would actually question how much benefit the photographer gets from constant ecstatic critiques from the same circle of members."

My current user name is my second incarnation on this site. I abandoned the first partly because of receiving private hate-mail following a politely-worded negative critique I gave to a "name" on this site. My ability to take photos and to understand what I was seeing, as well as my general intelligence was questioned by at least three friends of the photographer i critiqued.