Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-18-2004, 05:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default Travel to Transniestria

Jonathan: Could you share some info on how one get to Tiraspol? What special paperwork is needed? I am going to Moldova next summer. THanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Travel to Transniestria

Hello Eric,
Sorry for a bit of a delay in replying - only just got back to the UK. I'm pleased to see that there is someone who is interested in travel and not just taking photos :-)
Travelling to Transdniestr shouldn't be a problem if you already have a Moldovan visa. When I took the bus from Chisinau to Tiraspol my documents were checked and the visa accepted. But a word of warning, make sure your visa is in order. Mine had a small (but obvious) mistake with one of the dates and it took me an hour to pass through the checkpoint.
The bigger hassle is to ensure that you register when in Tiraspol. This is at a small office in a tiny road in a residential district. The Lonely Plant has the address or the hotel can give it to you. You will need to ask for directions to find it. You may also find that the hotel is reluctant to check you in if you haven't already registered, which could be difficult if you arrive late in the day. They let me in eventually.
There's a lot of bureaucracy in Transdniestra but it's all part of the fun.
Getting the Moldovan visa should be easy. I picked it up at the border crossing from Romania and I think the same is possible if you fly in to the country. I'm from the UK - you should check if the same applies for you.
Let me know if you would like any more info.

Have Fun!
Jonathan
Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks alot for the reply Jonathan. If you don't mind I have a couple more quesions on Moldova.

- Does registering with the security cost anything?
- Is it necessary to register with the security in Tiraspol if I am only there for a couple of days?
- Is it required to register with the police in Chisinau as well?

Thanks again
Old 10-21-2004, 12:18 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Eric,
- I can't recall if I had to pay to register. I think it may have been a trivial amount but it's certainly not anything you need to budget for (it's not like buying a visa).
- It is necessary to register for a couple of days. I think the time limit for not registering is something like 4 hours (i.e. just enough time to transit through). I've heard that if you don't register then getting out of the country can be unpleasant and expensive :-(
- There is no need to register in Chisinau.