Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great seres76 2013-05-19 11:46

Eline saglik.. Guzel fotograf icin tesekkurler...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Life changing.........

Hello Gert,

Thank you for your kind critique on this one - and your interesting remarks too!

As a matter of fact, I am English - I was born in Cheshire and my father was from there though my mother was Scottish, from Perthshire, and we moved as a family to Scotland when I was 11 - 54 years ago! - so I suppose I am now a "naturalised" Scot!

Actually, I was quite surprised how well this picture turned out from the scan. I was doing some scanning of a few old slides yesterday with a rather old scanner and was at first very disappointed on account of lots and lots of big blobs which looked like dust marks. I tried cleaning the slides carefully but the problem persisted. Then I suddenly had a bright spark of intuition and decided to look inside the scanner itself - the glass was filthy! Cleaning that greatly improved the subsequent scans! There were still a few marks on this one and, after I uploaded it, I noticed that there were a couple of funny coloured blobs on the dog's backside which makes it a bit difficult to tell which end of the dog is which!

Yes, Greenland was a wonderful experience. It was a university expedition led, interestingly enough, by a lecturer in anatomy (you can see him here and here) at the medical school. He was a keen mountaineer and had done several trips to Scoresbyland in East Greenland. There were fourteen of us on that expedition which lasted about eight weeks - pretty much all of July and August, 1970. We were split into groups, the leader, myself and another medical student forming the "boat party". Where we picked up our boat was about 100 or 120 miles away - we travelled there partly by helicopter from Mestersvig and then a 40 mile walk but on the way back we walked all the way. I was a lot fitter when I was 22 than I am now!

I've heard it said that if you cross the Arctic Circle, you catch a virus which makes you never happy again again until you return. That might well be true as I'd love to travel back to these places. Yes, I suppose it did imbue a certain self reliance and self belief but I doubt if it quite changed my life to the extent that an early trip to the Middle East might have had. You see, this place is extremely sparsely populated and we really didn't meet very many people at all. Those whom we did meet were small groups of similarly minded people who had come from Germany and the U.S. In fact, during our 100+ mile walk back to Mestervig, we didn't see a single other person. We saw plenty of musk ox and birds and one or two artic foxes and hares but thankfully no polar bears! So, you see, there was no exposure to any real "foreign culture" which I am sure is what affected you most in your early trip to Turkey and the Middle East.

Kind Regards,

John.