Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Darren 2004-03-31 6:46

Hi Dan. I have a very similar shot posted of this scene as well. In fact, I would guess I was shooting from where you were shooting towards. My eyes popped when I first saw this, I thought from my first glance at the thumbnail I was looking at my own photo. My understanding is actually that most of the heads were lost not to looting, but were removed when the temples were under Hindu control. At different times in history, Angkor has been Buddhist as well as a Hindu place of worship. In fact, many of the temples were actually built by Hindus. This is not to say however that many relics have not been lost to looters, it is probably a combination of the two.

As for the photo itself, I like this, but I wish you could have taken this same shot at a different time of day. The lighting here is just a little too harsh and contrasty for my tastes. Did yo use Neat Image on this Dan? Some of the surfaces seem a little too smooth, it looks as though NI could be the culprit.

If you are interested in my shot of the same statues, it is here. This is not an appeal for critiques, please don't get me wrong.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Darren: NeatImage

Hi Darren. Firstly, thank you for your thoughtful critique on my photo. I know what you mean about the contrast being high. When I first saw the print I was a bit disappointed so I thought I'd have a go at it using the computer. Funnily enough, I didn't use NI on it although I did think about converting it to B&W - but then I'd have lost the orange robes.
I saw your shot - very similar. I can picture exactly where you were standing!