Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Edwin 2004-03-31 7:14

What surprised me was the film you used here, an ISO 100 film usually doesn't blow out that easily the details in lighter areas... You must have had rather difficult lighting circumstances I think. Nonetheless it was a matter of compromising, correct exposuring of the ground level and missing details in the upper left part, I think that would have been a real pitty. I prefer the choices you made here Dan, and instead of focussing too much on exposuring but more concentrating on the subject and composition... I love it. Striking actually, also with the returning orange... Good work Dan!

Old 04-01-2004, 03:04 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Edwin: lighting

Hi Edwin. Thanks for your critique. When I first saw the print from this, I was a little disappointed as it was so overexosed. But I just put that down to the huge difference in light levels inside and outside the temple. Even though it was toward the end of the day the light was harsh, but as you would expect the inside of these temples was pretty gloomy at best. I'm sure there must be a way around it, but I don't know what it is!! Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Edwin: lighting

Hi Dan,

one possible bypass for this problem could be the following; Cokin has a range of filters that require a filterholder mounted to your lens. It's a rotatable and flexible system and thus one is able to use a gradual grey filter (or two even if needed), rotate the filter holder in such way that gradience only covers that area that needs to be protected from over-exposuring...
I used that technique quite often and it is huge improvement in light control.

It does require a bit of pre camera work and therefore it takes a longer time to take a picture. That time you may not always have, however it sometimes is worth the investment ;-)

Kind regards /Edwin
Old 04-01-2004, 04:06 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Edwin: lighting

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the tip. I was seriously thinking of going down the filter avenue, and I would have done if it hadn't been for the digital camera I bought! To be honest, I haven't used my trusty Minolta since I bought my little Canon. Thanks anyway!

Regards,

Dan.