Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2022-04-15 5:28

Hello Paul,

I found your photograph very sad. It has nothing to do with the quality of the photograph, which is excellent, but from the disposition of the porpoise.
It appears starved whilst trying dejectedly to drag itself back to the security of the sea!
The other pieces of art are not so traumatic.
I find it very interesting that such pieces of art are situated in the sand dunes. (My supplementary thoughts were do they get vandalised? Are they respected? Sadly there seems to be a trend for some to vandalise features left for the enjoyment of others. I'm sure the 'oldie, washed up' inhabitants would not be responsible but, maybe in summer ...)'

In answer to your question, I can speak about the people in my locality. We have had quite a number of people moving to the north from London and the surrounding area. As you note, regional accents set them apart, but northerners are particularly sociable and these people have quickly become part of the population. Because I work a couple of hours as a volunteer in our Community Shop, I get an opportunity to meet and chat with many people. In general (the term is 'off-cum-dens not washed ashore) the people quickly integrate and volunteer for community projects, just like the locals.

Have a lovely w/e,
Bev :-)

Old 04-16-2022, 07:21 AM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: No damages

Thank you Beverley,

I did not notice any vandalism in the artworks I saw by the sea.
I think the risk of damage is more likely to exist in big cities where we do find a lot of ugly and pointless graffiti on walls and doors.

Specifically for Belgium, we have a lot of damage to statues of the former King Leopold II because of the atrocities committed in Congo at that time.
However, this form of damage has a different cause.
Statues of Leopold II are now being removed in many places and streets or squares named after him get a new name.
But that has a completely different cause.

It seems understandable to me that people from in or around London look for a quieter place to live after retiring. Still surprising that they then go to the north of the country.

Of all the nationalities who will live in a more southerly country after retirement, I think the British are the most numerous.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 04-18-2022, 09:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Retirement

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Paul.

I am pretty sure that the people who come north are very pleasantly surprised by the scenic benefits of the countryside, the lower volume of traffic (sadly starting to get worse) and the friendly characteristics of northerners.
For some reason, southerners still believe that Lancashire is a mass of cotton mills, with tall chimneys belching smoke! 😂

The weather is warmer and drier in the south but it is a balancing act of which adjustments make you happiest.

Kind regards,
Bev :-)