Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2022-04-09 12:15

Hi Paul,
I wonder whether these landmarks are still standing...It will take ages before tourists can return to Ukraine even if the war stops now and even if it ends with an "happy end" if you could say so about the war.
Unfortunately most people lose during the war. This time also those people who hoped to win.
Nice presentation of this meaningful column,
M

Old 04-10-2022, 01:25 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Visiting Ukraine

Thank you Mariusz,

If the reports I read are correct, the center of Kiev was largely spared, as were all the monuments and religious buildings that are always in the inner city of the capital.
I think also this Independence Monument on Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square).

However, the war is not over yet. The Russians have now shifted their accents.

If the war were to stop now, I don't think it would be easy to visit Ukraine.
On the one hand I would like it, albeit partly as an expression of support for the population.

But with the many bombings and the mass of people who are now homeless, there may be no or insufficient accommodation for tourists.
Nor do I know what the Ukrainians think now. Perhaps they find themselves abandoned by the west because we fear a full nuclear war and they believe we're not helping them as much as they would like.
I once travelled in Iran, which incidentally has a fantastic friendly and helpful population. But I remember that some Iranians felt that the West had abandoned them when Saddam Hussein attacked their country.

Possibly the 2 million Ukrainians who are received in Western countries will give a very positive opinion about our countries.
We'll have to wait and see. Anyway, not to worry for now. First of all, the suffering of the Ukrainians must stop.

What I do know for sure, however, is that I will not ever spend one euro on the country of Russia.
Fortunately my house is not heated with gas. I already have that convenience.
But I will never spend one euro on a trip to Russia, on a flight with a Russian airline, on buying Russian products like liquor, caviar, ..., on their export of cultural products, dance, music, whatever.

It is too simple to hold Putin responsible for all the evil that has happened.
By no means do I want to defend Putin, but many Russians are responsible for the disaster.
Just read the testimonies of the survivors in the occupied territories north of Kiev.
The Russian army apparently consists of rapists of women and children (girls and boys) and all kinds of scum that performs atrocities.

Moreover, there are many testimonies that in Russia both the church and part of the population approve of the war.
I find it all too easy to blame the fake news in the Russian news channels as the responsible for this.

It is, of course, possible that Russia will keep its borders closed to Westerners.
In any case, I'm determined that not a single euro of mine will contribute to anything in Russia, money which eventually will go to their army to commit atrocities.

Kind regards,
Paul