Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good chabrenas 2005-03-29 13:16

Nice. If you get a chance, visit that part of France in late autumn when the leaves are golden brown.

I now withdraw the comments below. Workshop included a 'straightening' of the B&W image which appears to have now been applied to the original, making it perfectly upright. When I first saw it, the ridge (faitage) was just about horizontal - unless my PC was playing tricks on me.
When you choose to fill a square frame with the subject in this way, alignment of verticals is critical. You have aligned the roof ridge to the top of the frame, which happens to make the right hand wall align to the right side of the frame but actually tilts the picture slightly to the right. Your viewpoint is not directly facing the roof ridge, so perspective should make it slope downwards to the left. Rotate the image very slightly anti-clockwise, until walls and windows at opposite edges slope inwards the same amount, and see the difference it makes.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM
TE Expert

Default To chabrenas: Original not a square

I cropped the picture because of the vey white sky.
But i Can't understand your explanations it's more simple for you to make a workshop.
Regards.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To chabrenas: Original not a square

Merci pour la réponse, Didi. It's a pity trekearth only allows one image upload per 24 hours, as it would have been much easier to do a workshop than try to explain my suggestion in words. I'll use tomorrow's allowance for my attempt at improving this already fine picture. My attempt may, of course, be a failure...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
TE Expert

You can post two WS every day.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:58 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks, Didi. I'll try tomorrow. I must have been trying to do it the wrong way, because I got upload refused. I won't need to do anything for this image, because the 'original' looks correct now. Did you straighten it? The thumbnail I'm looking at while writing this still looks tilted very slightly clockwise. Maybe I'm just getting old...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
TE Expert

We can only change the look only in WS or before posting.
I have already maked some corrections before posting; it's not simple to do it.
The geometrical perfection at 100% exists only on the plans of an architect. An old castle of a few centuries is never completely vertical taking into account the movements of ground.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 AM
TE Newbie

>An old castle of a few centuries is never completely vertical taking into account the movements of ground.

Good point. In fact, when I applied a grid over the image, it was very difficult to judge what was vertical. In the end, you have to make the image aesthetically appealing rather than technically perfect - a bit like me trying to hang pictures straight by measuring from the ceiling, only to be told by my wife, standing on the other side of the room, 'That's crooked!'

Also, towers are wider at the bottom and they don't all taper exactly the same way. Talking of movement of buildings, have you ever photographed Nantes?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM
TE Expert

There is also problems with lenses distortions, Iha ve Adobe Photo Element 2 for corrections but it's not simple.
Anyway TE is most a geographic site, for sharing pictures for showing countries and places we visit.
There is another site called Treklens, thats one is for more artistic pictures.
And Treknature for the wild life.
About Nantes I have only my wife family pictures.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:16 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks, Didi. I just signed up for TrekNature, then found that most of my African nature pics were not very good quality, so I'll have to wait until I manage some French ones. I'll take a look at TrekLens, it could be fun, although I'm not a very experienced user of PS, Gimp, etc.

Is there a User Guide anywhere on TrekEarth? I'd like to find out how to create or contribute to Themes.

Thanks for your help.

Mike K-H
Old 03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
TE Expert

You must before create your Theme
You got o your Account/Manage/MyThemes/Create theme.
You have the choice between personnal or groupe themes.
You follow the instructions and then you click one of your published picture.
You go to your selected photograph and on the left-hand column you will click on the bond Add to Theme, then you follow the instructions.
The pictures will appears in the topic after including 3 pictures.