Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Nelu_Goia 2010-12-10 7:55

Hi Peter,
There is a real gem hidden in that green lush forest, you know?:)
I tried a workshop for you for reasons which will be obvious when you are going to have a look at it.
In case you might be interested about details I can email you some more information but there was nothing really spectacular in what I did.
I wonder, do you think my version is closer to your memory of the place?
Thanks and take care,
Nelu

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Nelu_Goia: Workshop

Dear Nelu,

Sorry to take so long to reply, but better late than never eh.

This image has had three workshops done on it, bit of a record for one of my shots. I'm flattered by the attention it has received. On the other hand, maybe I should be alarmed at my perception that this was am acceptable shot in the first place.

Actually, looking at the shot from an observers point of view (with the benefit of the workshops) I can understand why the fog is telling a different story to what I envisaged for the shot. In his critique and workshop Erdam remarked that he thought the shot is over exposed, I don't think he is correct, although shooting through fog can give the impression of over exposure. Kari in his comment made a point of mentioning the way fog can effect or (should that be affect) the way contrast can be altered by a foggy atmosphere. This apparent lack of contrast can also give the impression of over exposure. In the posted image, if one looks at the greenery not subjected to the fog in the atmosphere, to me, the exposure is correct.

Aesthetically though, I wanted the fog to dominate the image, I wanted that soft mood with the moisture leaden air diffusing the shot. Yes you are right, I could have opted for a workflow very similar to the image you have offered, but in my PP minds eye I went for what I thought I saw on the day and set the exposure and contrast accordingly. There are many other variations to the shot I posted, some with no fog, some with lots of fog and all variations in between. I think I had about 50 different takes from the same pov so there were lots to choose from.

So, back to your question, "do you think my version is closer to your memory of the place". Well, having looked back through the various takes I shot, (no, that's not cheating) I'd honestly have to say no, it isn't. Remember the light was very flat, I had full cloud cover and a lot of atmospheric influence, no way could I get the contrast that's in your workshop version without pushing the PP.

However, I can relate to a question you posed some time ago regarding a post I made of the Temple of Heaven in Beijing.
I remember it clearly, "Dear Peter, to post or not to post that is the question". I had second thoughts about whether to post or not with this image, I'm thinking that with 20/20 hindsight I made an ok choice.

I miss you my friend, I've been remiss not to have been in touch sooner. I noticed your son, Anton got an award on the Daily Award site, how good is that. You must be so proud of him, I know I am.
I tried, but I just couldn't get my head around the site, I'll give it another go in the New Year. I thought your architectural shot was fantastic, well deserved.

I hope you've been a good boy and Santa brings you lots of goodies at Christmas.

All my best wishes to you and your family.
Peter