Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great phwall 2010-10-12 14:06

Hello Reed,
Nice to see you again.
My sentiments exactly with regard to retirement, where does the time seem to go. I'm in the same situation as you with regard to TE, I've not been here much in the last six months either.
That must have been a wonderful trip, hope you got the mileage thrown in with the rental, 4000 K's, wow.
I had a bit of a fiddle with your shot, which by the way I like a lot. It just looked a little too flat to me so I added a bit of "Dodge and Burn" in Photoshop to increase the tonal variation.
Good perspective, the floating rope is a great focal point.
Good to see you again.
Regards
Peter

Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To phwall: Good Morning Pete!

Glad to have you stop by and fuss with my photo - I need some more and better ideas! I'd forgotten about the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop, as I've been playing more with copy, paste, transform, warp and the clone tool as I have been trying to patch up the passel of panoramic shots I made during that trip. Nothing seems to stitch exactly right the first time anymore!

Oh, it was a wonderful trip, for sure. The mileage was part of the deal - two weeks of car rental at $300 Canadian a week, and then $1.05 a liter for gasoline (I'm used to $2.50 per gallon). It was worth every penny. I'm going back next year for a month, only driving my own car, bringing my dogs and renting a cabin. There is so much more to see!

Yes, this retirement stuff is glorious! There is so little time to get everything that I need to get done, but the stress level has dropped off so much that I am losing weight (over 20 pounds so far), my blood pressure is now 110/70, pulse at 60 and cholesterol that of a much younger me. My doctor is amazed at the improvements in my health. My barber even said my hair is much less gray than it was six months ago, but I pay him well...

All in all, quitting my job was one of the best things I ever did! Don't ask my wife about that, though. I think I see less of her than I did when I was working - she finds all sorts of reasons to be out and about now! I started a small business liquidating estates and am selling on eBay the plethora of junk I have accumulated over the past several years - believe it or not the income has just about replaced what I was making in the corporate world. One day we may be able to walk around in our basement.

So, it's been nice typing with you. Hope to see you around more, too!

Have a great day!
Reed