Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great JPlumb 2008-02-28 0:47

Hi Rene, I think your conversion is a good one. I think though that with a change in settings the shot may have been a little sharper. I don't know your camera, but in seeing the settings as displayed, I'm going to assume you have some change capability on it. By shooting on a grey day, you want as much light as possible. For this then I would have probably opted to go with a higher ISO, at least 200, up to 400. At 400 you would have had 6x the light (50x2x2x2=400). Shooting with a focal length of 23 mm, you would have no problem and could maintain the speed as is, so you could change your aperture to a smaller one such as f8. This would give you a lot more depth of field, and a sharper shot (i.e. more would be in focus).

Composition wise I see two main elements in the shot, that I would concentrate on. The first is the sun, but then the large tree is very important in this shot too. You have the sun positioned on a power point, which is good and I would maintain that but sometimes, less is more. If it was me, I would crop out much of the rest of the forest and some sky, to concentrate more on the two elements that stood out for me. I've played a bit in the sandbox to show you what I mean to provide you with another option.

Thanks, John

Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
TE Newbie

Default To JPlumb: Workshop

Hello John,
I'm happy and thankful about your appreciation, advice and ws.
I think I can learn a good deal more out of this.
I've become careful with ISO settings, but following on your argument, on a digital camera you can always play around with settings and choose the best possible result. And for this you have to take your time, provided you can do so because nobody else starts getting bored. Next time I'll go out shooting ON MY OWN! ;-)
Thanks for your time and efforts!
Yours, Renť