Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great BennyV 2022-01-27 12:35

Hello Bev

You are right about school names and terminology being notoriously confusing. They are often impossible to translate too. In Belgium the name 'free schools' refers to schools under the guidance of the (Roman-catholic) church. So the UK is not the only place with confusing school terminology.

The closed gate is a big element in the picture here and not without meaning. The building itself is what you'd expect from a tradional public school. Beautiful, but also a bit ominous and threatening. Or is that just me having seen too many movies?

Benny

Old 01-27-2022, 07:55 PM
TE Expert

Default To BennyV: Boarding School

Thank you for your interest, Benny.
I agree with you. Public schools did have a reputation for bullying, many illustrated in books.
I think it is a status symbol to have your child educated at such a school, but even if I were rich, I would rather my children went to a day school and I saw them everyday.

Regards, Bev 😊
Old 01-29-2022, 10:04 AM
TE Expert

Same in Belgium. Boarding schools are either the rich who don't want to spend much time with their children (thinking that is not a very ambitious thing to do)...or on the other hand for troubled kids parents have difficulty dealing with at home (thinking that a boarding school could 'straighten them out'). In both cases, I don't really agree, then again it's easy for me talk, I suppose.

Benny