Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Nikon D5000

Hello Everybody,

I was researching for an Entry Level DSLR for the last few weeks as I am planning of switching from Point and shoot to SLR. Upon research in various sites like DP Review, KenRockwell and contacting a few members in TE I finally cornered my choices on 2 Models Nikon D5000 and Canon 500D (I hope I am not waging a long discussion between the Canon and Nikon users). Lastly I made up my mind for Nikon D5000. It has 18-55 MM Lens kit with it.

I also want to purchase a Normal 50 mm f 1.8d as it will help me in street and daily life in which I am specially interested. Nikon has 50 mm f 1.8 in only D & G lens models(I am not considering the higher end models if any as they will be very expensive for me). If I get this lens Nikon D5000 will not support Auto Focus and I will have to go for manual focus.
Now my question is that will the manual Focusing in any way effect taking photos means if I go for some fast moving objects. I know it will take a great deal of practice in the start. But still I am a little doubtful if it will be wise taking this Lens for this body.
Please help. If you guys have any other ideas or suggestion they are most welcome.

Regards
Tushar
Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Lens Decisions...

Hi Tushar,

I looked at Ken Rockwell's site for Nikon Lens Compatibility and find that a G lens will work fine on the D5000.

However, if you get the D5000 kit, you get a 50mm lens on it with the 18-55mm zoom that comes in the kit. Then you don't have to worry about 50mm and if it will work. A prime f1.8 lens might be fun and better in lower light, but I think you would have more fun with a super-wide or a 55-200mm VR as a secondary lens.

If you could get a D5000 body and an 18-200mm VR it would be even more handy! That would be two lenses in one! But I know cost is an issue. How about the 35mm f1.8G? That would be effectively 50mm on a 35mm film camera...

I think screwing around trying to manually focus would be frustrating and take my concentration away from composition - arguably I need all the concentration I can get on composition! Personally, I would get the kit, then save my money for when I could afford the 18-200 VR and then get it, sell the 18-55 and buy a prime lens with what you get for that, or save that money and get a 10-20mm super-wide. I hear Sigma is coming out with an even wider lens very soon, too!

And I just blew my wad on a now almost defunct Sigma 10-20 f3.5... What can you do, though, you can never keep up!

For street photography, though, I think the key is portability. I take only what I can comfortably carry, or what I can talk my wife into lugging around. Usually the Sigma super-wide and the 18-200mm (in my wife's purse or my coat pocket if it's cold) and a couple of CPL filters (well, I would if I had any - I'm still waiting for a pair of Kenko CPLs I ordered from Hong Kong almost three weeks ago! Eh, what I'll do to save a few bucks...) Oh, and my LensPen because I'm clumsy. And a microfiber cloth or two for my glasses because I sweat and tend to press my glasses right into my eyes so often that before long I can't see anything...

I know I am rambling on and on. The great part about this is that there is plenty of choice and some rational decisions to be made with patience. The goal here is to make great photos, not to collect the best gear. You will have the ability to make great photos with your DSLR - maybe after you screw up a great many of them and learn how to get those great photos. The option is there out of the box with just the kit, though. You will love the quality you get as compared to your point and shoot. You will love the ability to shoot immediately, no waiting for the PnS to calculate focus and light while that stork flies by or those kids are swinging a sickle at your head because they saw themselves in ripped pants on the Internet... But no matter what, it's going to take a bit of practice before you start knowing what the heck you are doing. At 4 frames per second!

I had three 35mm film cameras and 3 point n shoot digital cameras before I got my beloved D300. The first shot I got from it floored me (it was a total accident). The next 200 disappointed me. I had to learn how to shoot all over again, just to get the technical stuff right some of the time. You have a bit of a head start because you are wandering around TE at all hours of the day and night considering what other folks upload - their failures and successes and your failures and successes. You can afford to play with the kit while you make up your mind on what to do next. You have another advantage - you are young, educated and upwardly mobile - against the odds in your society, I think, but this is just the beginning. They don't call it "Entry Level" for nothing. That's kind of like the term "Gateway Drug".

Ok, enough of my dissertation. You are a lucky man! Get your DSLR, save your money for better (well, at least more useful) glass, and shoot us some great documentary images of everyday life in India. Tell it like it really is. Many of us may never get a chance to see it in person.

As we say here in Missouri - be good - but if you can't be good, be careful...

Reed
Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Thanks Reed

Thanks Very much for much informative and descriptive suggestions. Initially I was also in the notion to go with the Kit Lens and later on deciding to get some other Lens. But I was going through an article where I read the Prime Lens can take razor sharp crystal clear images and they are way too cheap than the zoom lens. So I thought why not to get one 50 mm lens and then came the compatibility issues. Well now I know if I will stick to Nikon D5000 and go for prime lens I will never get that autofocus. It will be only possible from D90 and above. There is a conflict between information given on Nikon site and Kenrockwell about G type Lenses. Nikon claims G type will not be Auto Focussed with D5000 but Kenrockwell say it will do. Kenrockwell also claimed this G type as crippled lenses as they don't have the Aperature Ring in them (I am not going into those details now). But a lot of great photographers surely be using them.

So the overall idea is that I will be making me happy with D5000 and the kit Lens I will get. Play with it for a few months, save some bucks and then see what lures me into.

Any other suggestions from other members are most welcome.

Regards
Tushar