Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2020-10-30 12:43

Hello Beverley,
Can you still see the British Isles in the distance? :)
I have neighbours who also went to NYC by ship (but returned by plane). They also enjoyed their journey by ship very much.
Still, I think it's not the kind of journey that someone undertakes individually. Moreover, I also fear that on the ship I will only meet a more upscale type of travellers.
How long was the journey from Southampton to NYC? Did the return journey take just as long?
Weren't there also lectures? There used to be an American active on this site who had given lectures on many boat trips. I forgot his name. BŁlent?
Indeed, the ocean looks vast and wild. But the waves cannot make the wake disappear quickly anyway.
Best regards, Paul

Old 10-31-2020, 12:00 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: Crossing the Atlantic

Thank you for your warm words, Paul.

In answer to your questions:
the journey took 6 days from Southampton to NY and 7 days by return.
it was a most enjoyable experience. There were lectures, very interesting and enjoyable.
we were worried about meeting fussy, snobby people but no, that was not the case. Going, we shared a table with a couple with a similar b/g to our own, on the return journey, we shared a table with a retired submarine captain and his wife. They couldnít have been more friendly and great company. In fact, I think they were more interested in us, if you can believe that!

There were so many activities on board and so many different food types, we were in Heaven!

My warm regards, Bev 😊