Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2014-09-28 12:21

Hello Asa,
The cemetery looks neat and the graves are well maintained with flowers and plants all over.
My attention is drawn by the catacombs carved into the sheer rock face. Can they be visited?
A well composed and very detailed picture.
Best regards, Paul

Old 09-29-2014, 03:02 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Actually a very easy shot!

Hello Gert,

Thank you again for your kind remarks!

This, actually, was quite an easy shot to take. This bird, of course, was quite tame and the falconer was able to deal with it very well. On his land he has a big old hollow tree and I think this owl is quite used to "posing" for people. He popped the bird to a big hole in the bottom of the tree at ground level and managed, without much difficulty, to coerce it to climb up inside to this hole which was about five or six feet up. It just sat there for about ten minutes, almost falling asleep, and I was able to shoot a good few pictures from 30 or 40 feet away without much difficulty, using a fairly long lens.

Processing this picture was slightly more difficult as the owl really was quite camouflaged as it nestled in this hole in the tree. I didn't do very much, but I tried to lighten the bird very slightly and also tried to dull down the parts of the tree around it a little.

But taking pictures of birds in flight is a totally different game altogether. The books go into great detail about how to set up your camera with fast shutter speed, fast focusing and so on but that, really, is the simplest bit of the whole procedure. The most difficult part I have found (and possibly due to my slow reaction times) is actually trying to keep a flying bird right in the centre of the viewfinder - this day I had hundreds of shots of beautifully clear distant trees and hills which were marred by big brown fuzzy blobs - which were the birds I was trying to photograph! My father had been in the RAF during World War II and used to tell me that, in the the early days of that war, the chances of a ground based anti-aircraft gun hitting a moving enemy aeroplane were considered to be equal to that of a blindfolded man trying to kill a fly in a room with a pea-shooter - my success rate was akin to that!

Kind Regards,

John.