Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default brand loyalty

Curious as to whether you guys have brand loyalty when upgrading equipment?

I've an old Canon Powershot S40 and i think the slightly dated equipment is apparent in my images when compared to others on here - although my inability to photo-edit is also a factor.

I want to upgrade soon - I like Canon and will prob stick with it. Is brand loyalty in photography common or do you switch?

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: brand loyalty

Its probably much more common for those with slr or dslr systems. why switch if youve invested in a system already? Prior to my canon DSLR i had a sony point and shoot. No brand loyalty for me, id never get another sony camera because Ive already invested in canon body and some lenses.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Rafal is right, but not completly.

If you are upgrading to a DSLR, and start to build a system, i.e. you buy a couple of lenses, a flash maybe a remote etc, switching body to another brand will render all your kit usless, and you'll have to start again.....

I have only recently gone digital, previously I owned a Canon eos33 and one lens (28-200). When I went digital I should have just bought a new Canon body but instead I switched and went with Nikon.

If you're not going to upgrade to DSLR, there is no reason why you should be limited by one brand, try all of the brands and buy what you feel most comfrtable with.

I have 3 different brands of cameras, and I love all of them.

Most importantly a better camera doesn't take better pictures, as you mention. A good photographer can take superb pictures even with mediorce equipment. I doubt that there is anything wrong with your S40...........
Old 07-18-2006, 10:53 AM

The previous replies are right. There is no sense in brand loyalty if you are purchasing a P&S (compact) camera or if you are moving up to (D)SLR for the first time.
Brand loyalty becomes more of an issue when you already have Canon, Nikon etc kit as the cost of replacing one set of lenses with those of a different manufacturer can be very high.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
TE Expert

simply go for the camera that invites you most to experiment with, that lies best in your hand and that is practically, do keep in mind the size that you like to print it out later, if you like big sized prints, you need more megapixels.

No use to buy a camera that feels a bit arkward in your hands, it has to be a pleasure, a second wife :))).

All cameras have their advantages and desavantages for example the D200 the "King of the light" ... 5D the "Queen of the night" where other cameras are master of dynamic range (Fuji)so chose along your favorite target.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 PM
TE Newbie

Brand loyalty is not so much a matter of sentimentality as it is of practicality. If you've invested hundreds or thousands of dollars into a Canon system or a Nikon system, you're going to stick with what's compatible with that.

But yes, people are also loyal to a brand for its perceived superiority, of course.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:48 AM
TE Senior Member

My history...

fSLR
Canon x 2
Ashia Pentax x 1
Mamiya Sekon x 2
Olympus x 3

fCompact
Nikon x 1

Digital
Olympus x 2
Minolta x 1
Panasonic x 1
Fuji x 1

I'm brand loyal. I'm just loyal to different brands at different times. ;o)
Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated and useful & interesting for me...Cheers all!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
TE Expert

I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty brand loyal. My first film camera was a Minolta, but my first digital was actually an S40 (same as you), I then sold it to some friends, and upgraded to the S50 (which I still have- great little camera!). I would not rule out the quality of the S40... take a look at some of my shots taken with the S50, I'm quite happy with them. I did make the move to a digital SLR for the benefits of zoom and more pixels (bigger enlargements) with the purchase of the Canon 300D (now replaced by the 350D), before selling that and moving to the Canon 5D which is my main camera.

I still use the S50 as it's a lot more portable when out with friends etc etc.

Hope this is of some use...

Cheers!
- Dan