Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-23-2006, 12:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Advise MP3 for travelling

Hello all,
I know its got nothing to do with photography, but I was wondering if you had an advise on MP3 players.

The 4x4 we will be renting in Ethiopia has a conection that allows for CD player, MP3 player etc. I dont have an MP3 player, so I was wondering, is it worht it, specially for a trip like that?

WHat can I expect to pay for a decent but sturdy MP3 plaayer which will allow me to play lots and lots of music and from all kinds of sources?

Is it possiblke to convert my CDs into MP3 files that I can play on an MP3 player?

ANy personal recomendations?

All your advise is appretiated

Regards

Daniel
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Advise MP3 for travelling

hello daniel

I tested several mp3 players and finally I remained using my Nokia 6620 cellphone with 1 Gb memory...

reasons? I always carry a phone, always use it, but it is not comfortable for me to carry "another" device just for the music...and also I have a movie player software so I can see movies on it,

disadvantages? only 1Gb memory at the most, slow to load the music, you should use bluetooth or infrared or the nokia cable...

the sound is not the same as an Ipod, but to me is comfortable...

saludos!

CV
Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 AM
TE Expert

ahhh I forgot, I use Ogg Vorbis format, so I can "save" some space for "more" music. The quality is more than acceptable to me.

ahhh, You can install a book reader at the phone, so you can enjoy reading and listening to music at the same time, something that I like a lot, you just have to convert the electronic book to a mobile suited format, any office document, pdf, text works so no problem...

Nowadays I am reading Da Vinci Code...and I have several books loaded, so no time for being bored...

K.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
TE Expert

I have a MP3 player or should I say a Portable Multimedia Player (PMP) which I'm very happy with. It's a AV530 from Archos. It has an 30Go hard drive but other models comes with 60Go or 100Go hard drive. It has a large and good quality LCD screen on which you can play movies. It can record TV directly through the docking station that is not optional but part of the package.

It has a regular USB port to load it and a USB Host that can be used to connect USB equipment like digital camera. Which make it usable to empty your camera's CF card. Not all camera are supported by the player but in this case you can plug in a CF card reader to dowload your picture from the CF card. Unfortunatly, if it can store RAW files, it can't read them.

Unlike mobile phone with MP3 capability, the sound quality is fairly good specially whenn associated with a headphone like Koss Porta Pro headphones.

It can be connected to the your desktop computer either as a mobile equipement (which make it simplier to use but add limitation to its uses) or as regular external hard drive in which any type of file can be stored and therefore no need of extra software (like for an ipod) to load and unload the player.

It's a very complete tool, I use it to listen music or watch videos and movies in transportation when commuting to work or when traveling. As a CF card emptier when out shooting. As digital VCR to record movie from the TV. As a voice recorder when I need to take notes.

To convert you CDs into MP3, you can find many tools to do that some are very intuitive (like apple Itune or Windows Media player 10) but are not the best in terms of audio quality. I personnaly use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which is a bit less intuitive (there's good tutorial on the net though) but gives a much better control over the MP3 conversion.

Cheers,

Romain
Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Daniel

It's worth when looking into buying a MP3 player that you can also load images from your camera's memory card to backup your images and free the space on the card.

I know that you can do this with iPod. Most devices will interface with you pc so you can rip the tracks from your CD's and convert them into mp3.

Good luck buying and happy trails..

Simone..
Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM
TE Newbie

Default Ipod Video or Iaudio

Hi Daniel,
I am about to buy an MP3 player myself and have looked at the following Ipod Video (5G) which is the choice if style and fashion is important to you. You can have hours and hours of music on that and if you buy the camera connector you can also use it to back up images from your camera.
However I think I will get the Cowon Iaudio X5 which is slightly less stylish but much more sturdy and solid. The camera transfer is built in and you also get a charger which you don't when buing Ipod.
Copying songs from a cd is called ripping and it is very easy - just use Windows Media Player.... then you can fit most (if not all) your cd's on the MP3 player.
Brgrds
Ronni
Old 06-26-2006, 02:38 AM

If it's just for music, then get a flash memory based player - they're very rugged in general, hard disks don't like dust and jolting around so much...

Oh and you might find my FAQ useful, have a look under OnTheRoad/StoringDigitalImages and Buying/MP3: FAQ
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
TE Expert

Thanks a lot for the info Adrian
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello, if you want advice on finding the right MP3 player check out "cnet.com". They give lots of reviews and help on buying electronics such as MP3 players. And you can convert your CD's to MP3's. What I use to do this Musicmatch. You can download it at "musicmatch.com". Hope this helped.